Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:15 PM   #1

After all the awesome reviews of the FZ20 I was hooked to this camera. My main reason to upgrade from my Sony DSC-V1 was to have less shutterlag and UZ.

But then came the news about Konica Minolta releasing th Z5. You can see the details of this camera at:
http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...age/dimage-z5/

It seems to me this camera overtops the FZ20 at shutterlag and moviemode.
FZ20 has shutterlag of 0.5 to 1.0 (wide - tele) while the Z5 only has 0.2 to 0.3!
Although it is hard to make any judgement based on the information we have until now I would like to ask your opinions. Is this (the first possible) FZ20 killer or am I being too positive in favor of the Z5?
bubmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:25 PM   #2

It sure is ugly.f4.5 at full zoom, ISO 320 max, 4 sec-1/1000 shutter. I don't think so. How much?:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:31 PM   #3

Price is not knows as of now. It's predecesor the Z3 costs a little over $ 400 right now so I would expect the new model to be introduced a $ 100 - 150 on top of that.

It sure looks ugly, I agree. At least the FZ20 looks like a good camera.

The 4 secs is only in auto mode. In manual mode you get max of 15 secs exposure.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:36 PM   #4

Also says noise reduction is automatic. I wouldn't want that. I would say knowing that brand's quality control and soft images I would say no. But I bet if you went to the Minolta forum you might hear what you're hoping hear:arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow:
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:42 PM   #5

I hate shutterlag though. I won't buy a camera with noticable shutterlag ever again because it makes me mis a lot of great expressions on people's faces that usually dissapear within a split second after putting a camera in their face.

So what are your experiences with the shutterlag of the FZ20 when taking pictures of people?
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:45 PM   #6

the FZ20's shutter lag isn't as bad as you might think. when the camera is pre-focused, it's less than .1 second... somewhere down around .04, i think. and i'm curious, what's a "GT APO" lens? anything like Leica optics?

their OIS system doesn't seem to offer anything the FZ's don't have, and it doesn't offer any advantage in zoom capability.can't see thatit doesmuch of anything the FZ'z won't do, with the exception ofa faster "progressive capture" mode for up to 20 frames, but whether that's of any real practical value depends on what kind of shooting you plan to do, and how often you'd really use that feature. of course, those shots are limited to 1024x768 resolution...

obviously, what camera you buy is a matter of personal preference and choice. but it sure looks to me like K-M is just trying to play catch-up with the FZ20! i certainly don't think the FZ has suddenly been superceded by a "me-too" offering from K-M...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:47 PM   #7

With a fast card I don't have any reservations. I think you should wait until you can compare images, reviews, etc. and then make a decision. In this forum I doubt you'll get a lot of recommendations for Minolta:arrow:
Old Jan 23, 2005, 2:02 PM   #8

No doubt something bigger, better and faster will come along but while you are waiting a lot picture taking can be had.

Also, with the current line-up mano-o-mano between Pana and KM, I would take a look andsee how that stacks up.Pana came out of the blocks running full tilt boogie with the FZ1 (revolutionary and possibly the best in the line pixel for pixel in value and quality of pictures that it can capture).

Lots of things sound and look great on paper (except for that hairdryer design of a camera from KM). In fact, I got photopaper that needs some prints to be made from my FZ20.

Hope it is worth the wait.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 2:18 PM   #9

Personally, I would wait for some impartial reviews. Even reviews from folks who have already owned one could prove useful knowlage..

Jeff
:?
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 2:22 PM   #10

I tried the Z3 in store before buying the FZ20.

I was quite impressed by it's focus speed. It seemed much faster than the FZ20. Ugly but it fit my hand better.

I wonder if the Z5 will have issues with white balance (skin being too pink) and red fringing??

Should be interesting... :twisted:
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote