Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 24, 2005, 4:49 PM   #1

Could any one recommend a decent 62mm polarizer filter under $50. Do you leave the hood on all the times when taking picture? When would be a case where you would want to take the hood off?
Hokies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2005, 5:08 PM   #2

I use this polarizer, seems to be just fine

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...443&is=REG

I use a homemade hood that allows the use of a flip down lens cap and I leave it on all the time.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 5:47 PM   #3

I have to take off the hood when using integrated flash. If not, I get a terrible shadow in the lower part of the pict.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 6:21 PM   #4

Hokies wrote:
Quote:
Could any one recommend a decent 62mm polarizer filter under $50. Do you leave the hood on all the times when taking picture? When would be a case where you would want to take the hood off?
I use the Hoya series B LP $20.00, it has a single coating on each side. That is all you need to spend for the FZ... abd don't forget a lens hood. Suggest the Hama. The Hoya 3 position is deeper and better but does not accept a lens cap. Go fiqure!
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:01 AM   #5

I got a Hoya circular polarizer for $30 on eBay. I've seen cheaper - you can get Sunpak filters for$12-15 or so - but Hoya seems to make good qualityones. Better to spendal ittle more up front for good glass, especially if it gets you better pictures down the road, IMHO...

I have a Phayee adapter on my FZ, and the front half functions as a short lens shade, but I don't usea hood at all unless it's a bright day. There's no need for it, and it interferes with getting the lens cap on and off, so it's only used when I really need it.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:05 PM   #6

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
I got a Hoya circular polarizer for $30 on eBay. I've seen cheaper - you can get Sunpak filters for$12-15 or so - but Hoya seems to make good qualityones. Better to spendal ittle more up front for good glass, especially if it gets you better pictures down the road, IMHO...

I have a Phayee adapter on my FZ, and the front half functions as a short lens shade, but I don't usea hood at all unless it's a bright day. There's no need for it, and it interferes with getting the lens cap on and off, so it's only used when I really need it.

The lens hood is not only used to shade sunlight it is used to stop ambient light all around the side of your lens from entering and washing out your pictures. Zoom lenses have more problems with flare then congenital single focal ones. The lens hood that came with your adapter is only effective if you are shooting at 2x. Beyond that, it makes a nice bracelet. If the truth were known, the hood sold with the FZ only covers up to 300mm. The CP you purchased was a waste of money and less effective then LP. The LP was invented in 1948 and the same design is still in use today. The CP was designed for beam splitting cameras because they could not work with the LP, which works on the FZ. This approach has reduced there efficiently at shallow angles that work with the LP. Spending more money does not always produce better results. The CP cost more because it cost more to make.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Lens-Hoods.aspx

http://photography.about.com/od/basics/a/bplenshoods.htm

http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/lenshood.html
vented in 1948 and the same design is still in use today.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:53 AM   #7

Thank you guys. All of you had been great. I took Rezune advice and bought a Phayee adapter, Hoya UV filter, and hood a couple months ago. I just could not afford to buy the polarize filter that he recommended. I did not really needed it back then either. Now, I am curious and would like to experiment with the polarize filter to take picture of water. I normally used the hood outside pretty much all the time but did not use it indoor. I read it somewhere that you should use it all the time and just want to confirm it. I guess light is light therefore you should use it indoor as well. I guess the only time you don't use it is when you take a picture with the flash on the camera. Where did you buy your filter "playlong"?
Hokies is offline   Reply With Quote