Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:40 AM   #1

Hi, I bought my FZ20 last saturday and now I'm going to buy a 512MB SD memory card. But here, in Barcelona, 512MB SD Ultra II is more expensive than normal 512MB SD (it costs twice as much). Have I to buy Ultra II or normal 512MB SD works fine or are there any others wich work fine?:?:? Thanks for your help.
trus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:55 AM   #2

The Ultra II is faster, but a standard SD card will work just fine for stills or anything where you don't need to shoot a lot of photos in rapid succession. The Ultra II will work better if you plan to use burst or continuous modes much, and will also speed up downloads to your computer, but you can easily get by without it. I have a Dane Electronics "standard" SD card which seems to work just fine for the kinds of things I do. Shop around on the web, there are lots of places to get SD cards for pretty cheap prices...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 4:19 AM   #3

Thanks a lot for your help
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:08 AM   #4

I'm from Barcelona too. I bought 2 weeks ago an SD 1GB Extreme III for 129 € at www.masmemoria.com. I recomend it to you. Excellent price and performance, but 2 weeks to deliver (ask if the product is in stock).

Forget to buy it in another place (retail) it will cost you 2Xif you find it (I haven't found 1GB Ultra II for this price on the streets...).

Have you any experience buying adapters to use UV or Polarizer filters in Barcelona?

I hope it helps you !
guixers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:26 AM   #5

Hello guys I use the KINGMAX 512 MB cards...write speed is 10mb/s and I have used it on my FZ20 and its pure joy. I started out with a regular Dane Elec 512 MB and its just too slow. I am not a professional or anything but its people like us who really need to take a lot of shots to get a few that really sparkle. The burst modes won't work well, the auto bracket won't work, etc with reg cards. These are all techniques that help you get atleast one good photograph among a few that you take back to back....burst is great for rapid action, pets, people who aren't posing for you, etc....and auto bracket is great in situation where lighting might be suspect, evening, night, indoor shots, etc. So as you can see both these features are great and should be used to the fullest extent. I highly recommend hi speed cards. Remember that one of the greatest advantages of Digital is taking tons of shots, you get better the more you shoot, and like pros the chances of getting one amazing shot is better if you are willing to just shoot...lol.

The problem is that I bought it from Newegg.com and I don't know if they ship to Spain or Europe in general. The price for the hi speed Kingmax 512MB card was US $41 which was amazing.

hope this helps someone.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:50 PM   #6

Thanks all for your help. I've just bought a 512MB SDEXTREMEMORY for 47,41 euros at www.perdemosdinero.com. I think it's a fast card (I have to try it). I will comment something about this card after some photos. I'm not a professional, I think I will use it a lot. Thanks..........:|
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:56 PM   #7
scb

I think you will be happier with a high speed card....good choice. I'm another happy Kingmax owner and it definately blows away my standard Sandisk card.

Best of luck!
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 1:16 PM   #8

Finally I bought a PNY512MB SD memory card and I'm very happy with it. I think It's a fast card but I don't know how LEXAR or KINGMAX cards work .
Old Feb 1, 2005, 1:23 PM   #9

Guixers, I'm going to buy an adapterand a super macro lensby RAYNOX. You can see these products at http://www.disefoto.com. If you e-mail them, they willexplain you how much do they cost and where can you buy them. I'm going to buy them at FOTO CASANOVA, Pelayo street. I hope this comment help you .
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:21 AM   #10

Disefoto are nice guys... I know theme because they have repaired all my old Leica's (from my grandfather) ... I suggest you to try to buy your adapter directly to them (they are in Vilassar) to obtain better prices...

Finally, I've decided to buy the RonJin Phayee adapter cause I just plan to use an UV an Polarizer filter...

Thanks for your suggestion !

guixers is offline   Reply With Quote