Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 25, 2005, 4:51 PM   #11

spiderman wrote:
Quote:
jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
For those long shots, you might try using the EVF instead of the LCD screen. I find that I can hold the camera much steadier close to my face than holding it with arms partialy stretched out.

Jeff
I agreed with Jeff! I was trying out at full zoom plus digital zoom at 48X, I tried taking with the LCD and I was unable to hold the camera steady but one can't understand if one does not look at the LCD. The image on screen was moving up and down, I took my best shot and the object was either too high up or too low. So I tried the EVF and what a great difference it makes! I guess like it was becasue my elbows were closer to my body and proved more steady!
Agree EVF can give more stability then LCD
LCD is good for candid stuff you can point focus and shoot without viewing directly.
For best sharpness at low shutter speeds I use a technique,
from SLR days.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...um_id=23&msg=3
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 10:49 PM   #12

Are you pre-focusing the camera? If not, it's possible that you're moving slightly by the time the image is captured. It can take up to .9 seconds to capture an image at full zoom, and almost half a second at wide angle settings. if you pre-focus, the shutter lag is about .04 seconds, virtually instantaneous.

it does look like the lighting wasn't the best... perhaps a combination of mediocre light and full zoom is slightly confusing the autofocus. you could try manual focus and see if it works better...

As has been said before, at the shutter speeds you're using, OIS won't do much... your handscan't shake fast enough for it to be noticeable with a shutter speed of .005 seconds, much less half that.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:51 AM   #13

EVF did the trick. Thank god it is not thye camera. I was hoping that it would rather be my hands than the camera. I got this quite focussed one at full zoom and at F/2.8,spot metering, focussing, and at 80 iso, shutter speed I don't remeber but it was quite fast. It was also touched up a bit in PS for lightening(it was yellowish due to early morning light) , and sharpened a bit, cropped and resized.

Attached Images

wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:53 AM   #14

Thank you all for the kind help. I would hate to see my camera going for service just after a month of use.
wise is offline   Reply With Quote