Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 25, 2005, 4:46 AM   #1

I have been considering asking this, and here it is.

Has anybody else experienced failure of OIS on FZ20? It doesn't seem to be doing much for me.

The following pics are taken in P mode, daylight, f/4, 1/200 and 1/400, Stabilization at Mode 2, spot metering ans spot focussing,at full zoom. These are only examples of what I have been getting on regular basis. I have tried removing hood, filter, adapter everything one by one but to no avail.

Can somebody help?

Attached Images

wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 4:50 AM   #2

here is another

Attached Images

Old Jan 25, 2005, 4:57 AM   #3

I can't see your pictures because of the server problem but with 1/200 and 1/400 stabilization isn't really needed to get sharp pictures, but if your posted pictures are unsharp (can't see them) there could be a problem either with the camera or with your hands :G. Because I can get clear shots with full zoom and 1/15. This wouldn't be even near possible without o.i.s.
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:01 AM   #4

retry
Attached Images

Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:38 PM   #5

I agree with Tim. At those speeds OIS isn't much of a factor. Maybe play around with metering and focus settings, otherwise it may need to be serviced. I've had good luck with OIS in some tough situations.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:51 PM   #6

Hello wise try it witha tripod and see if it comes out any sharper. On here the photos seem fine but maybe in full resolution on your computer you are able to see all the faults. Here is shot that would have been impossible without OIS because it was handheld and used a slow shutter speed to get this effect on the running stream.

seth
Attached Images

indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:29 PM   #7

The first pic is quite ok and the second pic is just a little off. Maybe it is your technique like pressing and breathing. OIS is only an assistant and not a prevention for blurred images.

Just try to hold your camera steady enough and shoot again. Like others said, your F stops and shutter speed should not be a problem to this.
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:35 PM   #8

For those long shots, you might try using the EVF instead of the LCD screen. I find that I can hold the camera much steadier close to my face than holding it with arms partialy stretched out.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:50 PM   #9

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
For those long shots, you might try using the EVF instead of the LCD screen. I find that I can hold the camera much steadier close to my face than holding it with arms partialy stretched out.

Jeff
I agreed with Jeff! I was trying out at full zoom plus digital zoom at 48X, I tried taking with the LCD and I was unable to hold the camera steady but one can't understand if one does not look at the LCD. The image on screen was moving up and down, I took my best shot and the object was either too high up or too low. So I tried the EVF and what a great difference it makes! I guess like it was becasue my elbows were closer to my body and proved more steady!
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 4:47 PM   #10

The lighting is soft so images are not contrasty ....
They look ok

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote