Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 26, 2005, 5:48 PM   #11

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
" . . . For Dean:

actually one has two choices with FZ20: . . . "
Thanks for the information and pointersFrancesco! VERY much appreciated! :bye:

I'm not new tophotography (35mm SLR for many years),H0WEVER I am new to digital photography, and of course new to my FZ20. I have a steep learning curve to work on, but that's all part of the fun, eh!

By spending several LOOOONG evenings reading throughmany threads on Steve's Forums, and searching the internet, I have been able to work my way through most of the basics, but I still have a lot to learn, and I continue to 'take notes'. Theinfo and pointers that youposted for meabove have already been addedto my notes. THANKS AGAIN!

Yes ... the highcost of an extra battery for the FZ20 is an issue with me as well. I understand less expensive after-market (non-Pana)batteries may be available, and I'll be looking into that soon.

More urgent for me at this time though, is buying a goodphotography software package. I understandthat going with one of the versions of Adobe's Photoshop is best. What I haven't been able to sort out yet is which version I should be looking at. I believe 'Photoshop CS' is the top of the line, BUT in my country that version costs as much as I paid for my new FZ20! Ouch!

Would you folksmind if I asked a shortquestion? Do you think I would be limiting myself too much if I bought the much less expensive version, known as; 'Photoshop Elements 3.0' ? . . . Andalso; What version do most of youlike touse?

Dean
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 6:31 PM   #12

Those are some seriously beautyfull shots...I like the panorama's on your website a lot. From my side a thanks too for the tip on low pict adjustment settings; sure gonna try that

GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:06 AM   #13

- Thanks Green Baron.
Note that some days ago there was an interesting post on DPreview about this.

A person experimented shooting with many settings differencies.
Then he converted the pics in LAB mode and considered one of the channels providing more noise.
It came out that all LOW cam settings is - aside another one I forgot, but also mostly on LOW- the combination which provides less noise.

As far as IQ it would be another matter of facts.
If one does not want to PP that much, maybe it's better to go on all STANDARD settings, so the images will be more crisp when viewed at Screen resolution.

- Dean B:

Elements 2/3 is perhaps even better than PS CD itself to start with.
Basic functions are present and it's less hard to learn.

I am "lucky" in that I live in a town (and state) where it's very easy to buy engraved software and mp3 discographies for 2-3€ each CD.
Thus I have had Photoshop since its version 3 (or maybe 2, on 8 floppies), then 4, 5 and now I use 7 (still with Win 98SE so CS won't work).

I have also heard good things about Paint Shop Pro 9.
Actually I use PSP5 as image browser (along with ACDSee 3 and 4) but version 9 seems to have many great capabilities for a small price.
I really cannot tell which is more "serious" between it and Elements 3 having not used any of them.

About the battery maybe I ll end to buy the Pana double cost one, for I don't have any possibility to makeon-line payments.

FraF
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:10 PM   #14

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
" . . . - Dean B:

Elements 2/3 is perhaps even better than PS CD itself to start with.
Basic functions are present and it's less hard to learn.. . . "
Once again Narmer (Francesco), THANKS for your input and help! I've also received a few pointersin otherPana threads, as well. What a GREAT forum!

Because of the HUGE cost of PhotoShop CS, it is out of the question, at least for the next year or two, so I guess PS CS is really a non-issue for me.

From what I understand, PhotoShop Elements 3.0 should do me just fine, for now. I checked the Adobe website earlier today and found that they have a free 'try-out' version ofPS E 3.0, so I may play with thatto see how it works. I'm guessing I'll end up buying the full version in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks Again!

Dean
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 10:17 PM   #15
RDV

Great shots Narmer!! I like the one looking down the valley out to sea.

What is the name of the village, port, or island in the first pic?
RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:43 AM   #16

that first pic is stunning, very well done
LightSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:44 AM   #17

Thank you Lightswitch and RDV.

RDV the port down there is Formia, the peninsula on the right is Gaeta.

Both in the southern part of theregion of Lazio,the one amid which sits Roma, the Italian capital.
These places are midway between Roma in the N and Napoli in the South.

Francesco

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote