Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:33 PM   #1

http://www.lerkaminerka.com/FR_Maranola-Redentore.html

(I hope it's not "too heavy" for normal dial up modem users)

a few from it:

comments are very welcome

Francesco

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:45 PM   #2

I absolutely loved both your shots. The horizon shot almost has a artificial feel, maybe cause it was mathematically so perfect, to it but I liked it overall. The macro of the flower was great too, i liked that 2 of the widest petals were cropped...it added something to the image. I also don't tend to be a fan of frames but your frame was also a good addition. Congrats on take some good photos

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:58 PM   #3

Thank you Seth.

Also see the the pics in the link above, where there are two more flower macros.

The first pic here has a sky and the rock boulder on the right side which recall me of dark atmospheres like The Lord of the Rings or Fantasy books like T. Brooks' Shannara...

One more macro:

Old Jan 26, 2005, 2:38 AM   #4

The landscapes in your gallery are just wonderful! As are the flowers. There's one with a tree with no leaves on the left taken at dusk that's just a standout.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 3:36 AM   #5

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
" . . .There's one with a tree with no leaves on the left taken at dusk that's just a standout."
I Agree! Artistically, it's one of thebest in the set, andI also like the sunset photo in the first post!

I'ma fan ofwell done macros of flowers as well (something I'm still working on myself). I like thephoto of the flowerin the first post ... in my eyes,it appears to be the best of Francesco's flower pics.

As a new owner of an FZ20, I'm very encouraged by the photographs that have been posted here!

Thank You,Francesco!

Dean
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 5:57 AM   #6

wonderful - wonderful - wonderful !!!! very nice photos in your gallery also...

very nice
will
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 8:10 AM   #7

Thanks for the compliments to NickTrop, DeanB and Willow1 too.

For Dean:

actually one has two choices with FZ20:

1) shot with all in camera settings at Normal-
in this case the noise and jpg artifacts will be visible in full size 3-5 Mp images, but not on the prints, and when you are visualizing the images with a browser like ACDSee, which fits the hi res images to the screen size, the sharpening level of the pics will be satisfying and the noise not exhaggerately high.

2) The second option is to shot with all in camera settings to low, except perhaps SATURATION and, in some circumstancies, Noise reduction.
The full 5Mp (and also 3Mp) size pics will be more soft, files slightly smaller (soft sharpen but alsoless NR) and they'll look needful of a sharpening also when viewed at fitted screen res.
But in this cas there is some space more for Photoshop sharpening and eventually a Noise reduction with a further software, ceretainly more accurate than the one in Cam.

---

As I have said elsewhere maybe -at equal photographic capabilities- one can have better images with a decent camera and very good Photoshop retouching ability THAN with a great camera but no or few PP capability.

There are many mid range cam which would provide, even at 3-4 Mp, pherhaps better straight out of Cam results than FZ20:
I mean as far as color accuracy and exposition/dynamic range width/noise.

>>> I have had some difficulty to capture both blue sky/ clouds and ground (without making the latter turn black, tus in silouhette) even without having the sun in the frame, only a clear winter sky.

>>> Some color shifts with RED hues.

>>> Noise in underexposed plain areas (dark clouds, sky)
This also creates bigger size files than other less noisy cams

>>> jpg compression seems too hard, even at FINE:
the fact is that the same apparent Hrdness is evident in tiffs too, so it must be something else.

Finally the Leica Zoom, the fast AF (in spot mode) and Burst mode, and Macro are perfect IMO.
Also ISO 200 images, resized at half their original linear size are perfectly useable and the colors do not shift to red, at least in non very dark environs (I mean when used in the day to achieve faster shutter speeds). And they can be good even with some areal blurring (i.e. not full frame NR program processing).

The weakest point is for me battery (and the price of Pana batteries).

All this to say that FZ20 is not the perfect cam but its Zoom range and some good PP skill can do the difference.

Francesco
Old Jan 26, 2005, 8:31 AM   #8

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
As I have said elsewhere maybe -at equal photographic capabilities- one can have better images with a decent camera and very good Photoshop retouching ability THAN with a great camera but no or few PP capability.
Psssst... got news. The camera doesn't matter beyond composition. It's ->all<- about what you can do in Photoshop.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 9:29 AM   #9

Superb, Francesco!

I find your mountain/sea photo hauntingly beautiful!

Flower shots are tack sharp also.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 1:35 PM   #10

Thanks to all.

I have just inserted a new gallery (actually shots are older than the one in the topic here, some where among my first day with FZ20).

PS

I agree with you Nick, in fact my galleries with Canon A300 (one of the cheapest digicams in Canon's list)
http://digilander.libero.it/peribsen/indice.htm
were also nice.

But all ofyou will understand how muchdid I miss a powerful zoom having a nice cam(Canon A300 makes very good macros) with NO optical zoom.

FraF