Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 25, 2005, 3:02 PM   #1

Ok, if I find myself needing the external flash, should I turn the camera off before attaching the flash, or is it safe to do so with the camera on?

I actually did this the other night, without thinking, and there were no bad results, but it got me to wondering whether that's really safe.

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 3:23 PM   #2

You should be safe cause nothing happens til you trigger the shot!
herk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 4:14 PM   #3

since we are on the topic of flash. I have a FZ20 and usually hate using its flash in close quarters or indoors because of the harsh lighting it provides and how ghostly it makes everything look. I am a new user but am wondering if the SUNPAK 383 for about $60 is worth it. Could people who use it tell me if I Should go for it and what the range/distance I can really use it with?? Also is the price about right?

thanks,

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 4:28 PM   #4

The 383 will bring a whole new dimension to your indoor shots and is worth the price. BH photo sells them for $70 so anything around that price is reasonable. Bouncing or using a diffuser will eliminate the harsh look.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:04 PM   #5
scb

out of stock at B&H. Ordered mine today from www.digitalphotoclub.com and the total came to just shy of $80 with NY tax and shipping. Received tracking number just a couple of hours ago, so they must be in stock and shipping. Not a lot of retailers popping up when I was searching. Adorama also has them.
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:06 PM   #6

indiawala, as nooner said, the 383 gives so many more options. It was one of the best purchases I made (other than my camera :-)). It's so flexible for bouncing.

Also, my Christmas present to myself was a Lumiquest kit, which adds even more bouncing options - such as the 80-20, which lets 80% of the light through to bounce off the ceiling, but directs 20% toward the target, getting rid of shadows under noses and all.

Definitely get the 383, and then do lots of experimenting with settings, and check threads here. There are many, many threads in this and other forums, from FZ10 / FZ20 / etc owners who use the 383 and offer advice.

Good luck!

Herk, good point! The flash was off, too, so I imagine you're right, and it shouldn't cause any problem.

Old Jan 26, 2005, 8:38 AM   #7

cageyman -

You'll be amazed how well the FZ20 and 383 work together. Search Steve's for 383 - there's alot of good info and links.

kriellian
kriellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:04 AM   #8

Kriellian, I think you meant Indiawala - I already have and praise the 383. :-)

But I agreewith you 100%, it's a great accessory!