Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:07 PM   #1

I was thinking about it and I noticed even with the large number of posts on the Panasonic forum you don't really hear of many true mechanical or electronic failures with the FZ lineup. It speaks well for the quality control and potential longevity of these cameras. Don't ya think?
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:25 PM   #2

I agree 110% with that. I check out other cameras at the stores and most of them feel cheaply built. Crackly plastic, flimbsy access covers and such.

The Lumix's are definately well built in comparison to most.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:33 PM   #3

bobc wrote:
Quote:
I agree 110% with that. I check out other cameras at the stores and most of them feel cheaply built. Crackly plastic, flimbsy access covers and such.

The Lumix's are definately well built in comparison to most.

bobc
I just did that a few nights ago. I was almost shocked at the build quality of the Minoltas Z whatever (the hair dryer one) My kids - literally, have toys that are built better.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:49 PM   #4
scb

My first camera was a Sony DSC S30....and it was also built very well. It may only been a 1.3mp camera, but it took some great pictures and is still woking well. I remember looking at the Minolta Z1 when it first came out and how flimsy it felt....especially that switch for changing from the eye viewer to the lcd panel. Also noticed many other cameras on the market with questionable quality. I am really pleased with the construction of my FZ20 and the FZ1 I picked up for my wife. It makes you wonder what the folks at Panasonic can do if they make improvements on future models!!
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:01 PM   #5

i noticed this too. one of the first things i noticed were the two covers, the battery and sd card one, and the av/out and data one. theyre very sturdy and solid, and i dont think they'll ever have any chance of breaking off with normal use. even the fact they are sprung is a nice little touch. overall the whole camera feels like it is, scale for scale, built like a tank.
not only that, ive never been one for brand loyalty, but this product would definately encourage me to consider their other electricals.
well done panasonic!
spidamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:03 PM   #6

These are good cameras.
Mines been overseas, put thru' customs xray, sat in a camera
bag on jet plane floors.
Its been carted all over CA... dropped on carpet floor twice
soft landing . light weight helps here.
Still runs smooth and quiet...
They do need some respect tho' these are not the more desirable magnesium bodies as in DSLR's
The LC1 has alloy body.
Since I have a design background in plastic products I can say Plastic is good for today its needs to be applied correctly, the Lumix are light yet rigid.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:41 PM   #7

Hi all!:bye:

After a VERY loooong search, involving severalhigher end digicams, I bought an FZ20 on the weekend. I lovethe build qualityof thecamera, that awesome F2.8/12X lens,and how fast the camera operates!

Up until now, all my posts have been on the Canon, K-M, and Nikon forumpages, BUT I have been watching this Pana forms page withGREAT interest for quite some time. Now that I'm a Pana owner, I thought I'd chime in.

Back to subject; Yes ...it's one of the Many good things I've noticed on thisforums page. There have been very few concerns expressed about Pana quality, reliability, repairs, etc., and people just can't stop talking about how much they like their Pana cameras. (I credit this forums page for helping me to come to my senses and buy an FZ20)

A related thread that I helped work on recently called'Minolta Reliability', has some interesting information in it on Pana digicams. In that thread, threesurveys involving camera quality, reliability, repairs, etc.were posted. In the largest survey posted (involving 167,000 cameras), done by Consumer Reports, the Pana digicams did EXTREMELYwell. Out of the13 camera companies involved in that very large CR survey, Panasonic came in a very close 2nd place, just slightly behind Sony!

Check out the thread :arrow: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20

Dean
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 7:40 PM   #8

I've been looking all throuh my histories for the site and page where the aluminum shell of the FZ20 was shown in detail. It was one more attribute of the camera that helped convince me to buy it even though its not at all what I had in mind. I never found the site again. "Built like a tank" is correct. I just wish you could see it. This thread has helped me because I was somewhat put off by Panasonic's warranty.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:43 PM   #9

Agree, nooner. I used to hang out at the oly forum at dpreview three or four years ago when I got the c2100 (aka uzi). A great camera but also a frequently repaired camera. Alot of talk then was about the fear of sudden death syndrome and hot pixels and extended warranties. I've beenthe happy owner of the fz1 for a year and a half now and have been actively following the evolution of the fz series here and at dpreview and I've seen very few posts on the need for repair. Panasonic has definitely put together an excellent and well thought out product. I wont say there aren't some improvements that can be made but at leastwhat we havekeeps on ticking.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote