Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:41 PM   #1
scb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 110
Default

Received my new Kingmax 512mb high speed 66x SD card. No comparison to a standard Sandisk card....soooooo much faster at reading and writing, and especially in burst mode! As regular forum folk know....they are a real bargain at www.newegg.com.

No commercial intended...not an employee...just one happy customer.

Still waiting for some decent weather to break in western NY...grey clouds dominate....when will it be nice enough to do some photo walks?????
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
greenbaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: the Netherlands
Posts: 742
Default

Sounds cool; nice price too;

I just had a look at my Nytech 128mb card; but I can't find the speed of it;

Question; Does the speed of the card also make a difference on how many pics can be shot in one burst? Mine stops at 4 frames in high speed mode :roll:

-

Small note on the remark on the weather; Make use of those clouds; Taking pictures in the city on cloudy days is quite handy because you don't have the harsh shadows; tough contrasts and less backlight :!:

On the other hand; some sun can be great too
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:42 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,720
Default

not to rain on your parade, but ANY 66x card will be faster that a "standard" SanDisk. i'd guess that if you compared the Kingmax to a SanDisk Ultra II card, which is rated at 60X, you probably wouldn't notice much difference.

i'm confused, though, about the claims these manufacturers make... the Kingmax specs list themaximum transfer rate at 10MB/sec, but the Dane 512 card i use has the same rated max speed, or so their website says...all i can say is that i've tried my Dane card in continuous mode, and then tried the same shots with my Sandisk Ultra II 256MB card, and noticed very little difference in the camera's shooting speed, andI can get about 4 frames a second in burst mode with either one. Does that mean the Dane is ahi-speed card, even though it doesn't say so on the package? i dunno... but it's fast enough for me. And the Sandisk Ultra II cards have a minimum write speed of 9MB/sec (60x), and 10MB/sec read rate... from what I can tell, the Kingmax has a maximum of 10MB...

so.. which cards are best? who knows? it's all specmanship, sorta like the spec games stereo amp makers used to play with harmonic distortion and output power... you had to read the fine print to see that the power ratings were only achieved at some silly frequency no one can hear, or the THD claims of .003%, when nothing below .3% is detectable by the human ear.... i just know that as a practical matter, pretty much any hi-speed card will do the same thing, and will work very nicely in these cameras.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:45 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,720
Default

greenbaron wrote:
Quote:
Sounds cool; nice price too;

I just had a look at my Nytech 128mb card; but I can't find the speed of it;

Question; Does the speed of the card also make a difference on how many pics can be shot in one burst? Mine stops at 4 frames in high speed mode :roll:
Burst mode is limited to 4 frames at "fine" image quality (low compression) and 7 framesin "std" (high compression) mode.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
greenbaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: the Netherlands
Posts: 742
Default

Allrighty; thanks m8;

I was hoping a faster card would cause the cam buffer to fill more slowly; so more images could be taken

Cheers
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:14 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
indiawala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 403
Default

I recently bought the KINGMAX 66X 512MB SD cards from newegg as well. Before this I used a Dane Elec 512MB card. The burst mode still takes 4 fps using my dane elec but it freezes after for about 4 or 5 seconds while the card is loading the data. This is what the faster cards will help you avoid. The camera still stops after each burst of 4 shots but you are ready to go right away again if you wish.

The real advantage to me is in infinity burst mode. My dane would take about 5 or 6 shots and then stop for about 5 seconds. My Kingmax just keeps taking shots, no stop, no camera freeze, no nothing. This is also the case while i use auto bracket, which comes up a lot if you shoot indoors and at night time. My dane takes one shot in the 3 exposures I chose and freezes for a couple of seconds before I can take another. My kingmax takes the shots and is ready as soon as I am...no waiting if I am trying to catch the right expression on someones face.

To me the kingmax is a great card. I am sure the Ultra II and Ultra III are great as well. But remember that the max you will need with the FZ's are about 9mb/s...anything more than that is overkill.

Also why pay for just a brand name, if the performance is the same if not better then try and save money and put it towards other stuff...lol. We all know that buying stuff never ends as you grow in this field...there is not such thing as a perfect photographer...or a perfect photo. So we are always trying to get better...which usually means that we will try to upgrade at some point.

hope this helps

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:19 PM   #7
scb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
not to rain on your parade, but ANY 66x card will be faster that a "standard" SanDisk. i'd guess that if you compared the Kingmax to a SanDisk Ultra II card, which is rated at 60X, you probably wouldn't notice much difference.
This much I knew.....I guess I was coming more from the aspect that I've read several posts re high speed cards..especially the bargain priced Kingmax, and wondered how much of a difference I would notice when just taking single shots as well as the burst mode.

Another point is that at the price of the Kingmax, it is a little more affordable to buy extra cards and be prepared for longer shoots and/or trips.
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:40 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,720
Default

scb wrote:
Quote:
This much I knew.....I guess I was coming more from the aspect that I've read several posts re high speed cards..especially the bargain priced Kingmax, and wondered how much of a difference I would notice when just taking single shots as well as the burst mode.

Another point is that at the price of the Kingmax, it is a little more affordable to buy extra cards and be prepared for longer shoots and/or trips.
From the sound of it, you might notice some difference in shooting burst mode groups repeatedly. i don't think you'd ever see a difference shooting in single mode, unless maybe trying to shoot multiple shots in rapid succession.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:01 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 50
Default

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
scb wrote:
Quote:
This much I knew.....I guess I was coming more from the aspect that I've read several posts re high speed cards..especially the bargain priced Kingmax, and wondered how much of a difference I would notice when just taking single shots as well as the burst mode.

Another point is that at the price of the Kingmax, it is a little more affordable to buy extra cards and be prepared for longer shoots and/or trips.
From the sound of it, you might notice some difference in shooting burst mode groups repeatedly. i don't think you'd ever see a difference shooting in single mode, unless maybe trying to shoot multiple shots in rapid succession.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
A high capacity faster card should also produce a noticable difference when the camera is set to store pictures as tif files.
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:59 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6
Default

I also bought a Kingmax 512 and think it's a bargain. Before I got the Kingmax, I bought a Panasonic 256 from Fry's Electronics (I had a Sandisk standard 256 and wanted something faster for burst mode). I ran some "semi-scientific" tests on the 2 cards and just completed my tests with the Kingmax. There's a stopwatch online at http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/...ies/stopwatch/ that shows down to tenths of a second.
I used shutter priority, set at 1/125 sec with ISO 400 to get it bright enough, and 2560x1920 pixels. I started the watch and then took a 4-picture burst of the screen. I recorded the times on the pictures and calculated the average time for the 3 intervals between pictures in the burst. I repeated this 3 times to get an average over the bursts. This was repeated for each of the modes, high, low, and infinity, for each of the cards. Interestingly, in this test setup, all cards averaged the same! For High setting it was 0.33sec between images, for Low setting and Infinity setting, it was 0.47sec between images.

I'm not sure how this translates in real shooting situations. I used 1/125 sec because that's what I'm using to shoot my step-son's hockey games. I didn't try program mode or run other full tests. I did a few qiuck bursts in a few other shutter speeds and with manual focus with no noticeable difference.

The strangest part of this is that in shooting them with sound on, the Kingmax feels faster! The Panasonic and standard Sandisk feel about the same.

winddreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:48 AM.