Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 27, 2005, 6:53 PM   #31

Thanks. The Canon is already at $380 first day of listing. I am going to order my Panasonic now. I'd like to have both of them for a couple of days to do some comparisons. Thanks again for all your help. Will give you feedback once I have my new baby.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:57 PM   #32

I set all my values to the lowest possible like Nick. Who did you end up buying from?
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:08 PM   #33

Haven't bought it yet. Comparing prices. It's listed on ebay as a PRESALE item for $469. Not sure what that means, but comes with full warranty. I am shopping around right now. Will definitely do the purchase by the weekend. The FZ15 is listed for $375, but I don't want to go below 5 Megs.

Will let keep you posted.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 1:50 PM   #34

Alright. I've had the FZ20 for a couple of weeks. Got it from a low cost on-line dealer who didn't try to stick me with all kinds of overpriced accessories as is often the case. I forgot the name of the dealer, but can look at the invoice when I get home later if you are interested. I paid just over $500 including shipping. Unfortunately, they only had the silver one in stock. I would have preferred all black, but it's ok. I am very happy with the camera. I ran some comparisons with my Canon G5 yesterday and the pictures are virtually indistinguishible. Color balance is almost identical. The Canon's auto exposure seems a little on the darker side resulting in a deeper blue sky, but any differences are tiny. Canon's picture are sharper, but this is evened out with the Sharp setting on high in the Panasonic. I did not notice that the colors in the Panasonic are more faded. Both are equally rich and saturated and I do not see any more noise in the FZ20 despite the smaller CCD, especially in print.

Question: Has anybody noticed severe reductions in image quality when using the higher compression of the"Standard" setting? I cannot see the difference, even when I crop the image, on the screen or in print. The same was true for the Canon for all of its three compression settings.

A huge advantage is the auto focus capability of the FZ20 in low light. The Canon would drive me nuts, trying to "fish" for the correct AF setting while my kids have that priceless expression on their face, even with the Assist beam. In fact, that was probably the single most annoying aspect prompting me to look for another camera in the first place. The Panasonic locks right into the correct exposure, what a difference. So, I put my Canon G5 back up on Ebay. The only thing I am going to miss is the swivel screen which enabled me to take pictures at very odd angles. I would like to find a super compact camera with a swivel screen as my second camera to have with me at all times, any tips?

So, I am happy that I got this camera. Next up I will get the Sunpak 383 flash and get rid of my dedicated Canon flash since it has no manual settings. Here is a great article on external flash use: http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Pana...%20FZ20%20demo.

Then I shall expand my lens assortment and get the Raynox .66 wide angle lens and one of their macro lenses. A polarizing filter would also be great for outdoor shots.

So, all in all, I am more than happy with my purchase. I will start posting some shots here. Took some handheld shots of Union Station in L.A. at night with high zoom and they came out great. Haven't had much chance to take a lot of daytime shots yet, just a few comparisons between my Canon G5 and the FZ20 where I photographed a McDonald's in bright sunglight with its colorful playground. Colors in both cameras were very rich.

I am attaching two shots of my two-year-old boy, taken at about 4x zoom with the internal flash in low light. My Canon G5 would have croaked on trying to focus while the FZ20 focused instantly. Nice warm skin tones for direct flash shots.

While I am exhilarated with my purchase, here is what I am looking for in the next generation:

1. Swivel screen

2. larger ccd (ideally the Fovean 3-layer CCD, look at the clarity of Steve's sample pictures from the Sigma SD-10 compared to any other camera) and more MP's

3. hotshoe for dedicated TTL flash

Other than that, this is close to being the perfect camera for me. At first I was bummed out over the release of the smaller FZ5 since I had just bought the FZ20. However, the FZ5's lack of a hot shoe and manual focus capability rules it out for me.

Enough babble. here are the shots of my two-year-old son Tanner.

Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2005, 1:50 PM   #35

...and another one.
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2005, 2:23 PM   #36

Congrats. I think you will be happy.I've found that the FZ20 works great especially with a little post processing. In terms of a small camera have you seen this one. It has the Fovean CCD for $299. Shoot 'em up

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...x530_avail.asp
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 2:29 PM   #37

Thanks. Yes, I saw the release of the Polaroid with the Fovean sensor, waiting for the reviews. It is a 1.5x3 sensor, thus a lot smaller than the one in the Sigma. I want to see the sample images and see how they compare.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:22 PM   #38

Congrats on your purchase... nice pics of your little guy.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:27 PM   #39

Thanks, NicTrop. I am glad to have come aboard here. I will post more shots tonight. Or is there another forum for that?
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:59 PM   #40

Oh, one more thing: What about the image quality in the fine vs. the standard (high compression) setting. I cannot tell the difference. Can anybody else?