Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:46 PM   #1

I am currently listing my beloved Canon Powershot G5 on ebay to replace it with a higher zoom camera. From all the reviews I have seen, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20K seems to be the camera I am about to choose. There are just a couple of issues I see. First of all the smaller ccd (1/2.5" vs. 1/1/8" in my G5) seems to lead to a lot more noise. This is even visible at theISO 80setting in Steve's sample images.Zoom in closely into the skyand compare it to the Canon Powershot G5 images. The Canon images have literally no noise at the same magnification. I wonder if this is an issue when enlarging images. One definitely wants to stay away from anything over ISO 100 from what I observe.

Another issue I see is that the images lean toward a yellowish cast. Am I correct about this? I have also readthis in another review somewhere.

Please let me know your experiences as far as noise level and color accuracyare concerned. I am often printing 13x19 enlargements on my Canon i9900 printer and I want them to be perfect.

Thanks.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:54 PM   #2

Try this.............
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/s...=&q=fz20+noise
Nothing is perfect:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:57 PM   #3

from everything i've read, the FZ'z are no noisier than anything else in the 5MP ultrazoom market. might be a touch noisier than the G5, but you're getting a whole lot more zoom lens in the trade. i've noticed some noise in shots with the FZ under low-light conditions, but nothing that can't be cleaned up, and it's not objectionable on 8x10 prints. i haven't tried anything larger yet. of course, what's objectionable and what's not is very subjective from one person to the next, so you really need to try the FZ and make up your own mind whether it will work for you.

i've heard about the so-called yellow cast, but i haven't noticed it in any of the shots i've taken. colors seem to be very good with the FZ.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips and the link. Looks like that's the right forum.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 3:25 AM   #5

rduve wrote:
Quote:
I am currently listing my beloved Canon Powershot G5 on ebay to replace it with a higher zoom camera... seems to lead to a lot more noise.
The G5 is noisier than the FZ-20. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...Z20IMATEST.HTM See the fourth chart for a comparison.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:27 AM   #6

I'm glad you posted this, because I ran into the yellow tint, and was wondering if it's normal. The other night, I was taking some indoor shots, trying to use the natural light (slow shutter), and found all my photos had the yellow tint. I compared them to my friend's HP, and he didn't get that.

However, I'll say this. I don't notice it except when I'm taking a shot in low light without a flash. With my Sunpak 383 attached, or with outdoor shots, I don't notice it.

You're doing right to ask questions, and do lots of research. Read reviews, then go handle the cameras. I have friends with HP's, Nikons, Fujis, and some Olympus models, and I'd say I could be very happy with the Nikon 5700 or one of the newer Olympus models, but I'm very happy with my FZ10, and every one of my friends has their own issues.

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:57 AM   #7

rduve wrote:

Another issue I see is that the images lean toward a yellowish cast. Am I correct about this? I have also read this in another review somewhere.

You're right about the yellowish cast. I've found this happens quite frequently when shooting outdoor scenes with plenty of greenery. Even using WB manually set. If it's too noticeable, I use the hue saturation feature in ps, and back off the yellow channel to -20 to -30. Noise is no big deal. It's competitive with most 5mp cameras and can be dealt with easily with a NR program, of which there are plenty available. Cheers.....thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:32 PM   #8

Thank you for all your input. I did an in-depth test last night. Enlarging, cropping and printing some of Steve's sample images. My verdict: Nothing can hold a candle to Canon. The Canon Pro1, but even my G5, are clearly superior in clarity and image resolution. Fine details, which are a bluron the Panasonic (as well as on any other non-Canon camera I tested, with the possible exception of some 8MP cameras, such as the Nikon 8800) are crisp and sharp in the enlarged prints from both Canon cameras I tested (with the Pro1 beating the G5 by a small margin). These are visible issues, regardless of any numerical tests that might come to other conclusions. The cause could be the larger sensor, the better Canon lenses or the processor, but the differences are real. (I had my girlfried pick the crisper image and she also picked the Canon prints).

Conclusion: I took my G5 off of e-bay and I am waiting for Canon to release a 10x zoom camera with more than 5MP. In the meantime I fiddle with my teleconverter lens on my G5.

So, noise level and yellow cast turned out not to be the decidingissue for me:Crispness was. And while the Panasonic seems to be better than let's say Minolta and Kodak in that regard, it doesn't hold a candle to Canon.

If anybody is interested I can share some of the prints with you to demonstrate what I am talking about.

Thanks!

Old Jan 26, 2005, 3:53 PM   #9

Rduve

I have no doubt about what you say:

other than image colors and crispness I would also add metering capabilities (i.e. Dynamic range): hard to have a bright blue sky in the same frame of a panorama without making the ground a dark silouhette or managing to have a good ground exposition but aslightly azure sky nearly white burnt.
Also jpg compression is not like superfine in Canons.
But with some PP FZ20 gives outstanding results on screen and A4 prints.

And nothing beats Leica zoom.

I also agree that S1is successor might be a great cam IF the sensor is properly proportional to Megapixels res.
If not only now UZ Canon cams will succeed in having better IQ than FZ20

FraF
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 3:53 PM   #10

Rduve

I have no doubt about what you say:

other than image colors and crispness I would also add metering capabilities (i.e. Dynamic range): hard to have a bright blue sky in the same frame of a panorama without making the ground a dark silouhette or managing to have a good ground exposition but aslightly azure sky nearly white burnt.
Also jpg compression is not like superfine in Canons.
But with some PP FZ20 gives outstanding results on screen and A4 prints.

And nothing beats Leica zoom.

I also agree that S1is successor might be a great cam IF the sensor is properly proportional to Megapixels res.
If not only now UZ Canon cams will succeed in having better IQ than FZ20

FraF
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote