Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:03 AM   #1

I am seriously thinking in selling my FZ-15 and get a FZ-20, but it isnot availablehere in Mexico (neither FZ-15, can you believe it??)

I want to use an external flash with my FZ-15. It does not have hot shoe.

Does anybody know if I can "modify" my FZ-15 and attach any external flash??
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2005, 2:24 AM   #2

As I have done with the FZ-1, you get an L-bracket (mine cost $15-20...), which screws into the tripod mount. You're limited to a digital slave flash (mine is the Vivitar DF200, $60). Make sure that the slave flash has a white balance pre-flash compensation (...also very important, your flash won't work otherwise...) See the "Flash" section of the FZ-1 FAQ sticky. Same applies to the FZ-15.

Why are you considering selling your FZ-20?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:20 AM   #3

oohhh!! good idea Nick!! but.. how do you avoid internal flash from illuminating the scenario. For example, if you are taking a portrait and want a bounced flash??

Can you cover the internal flash, to illuminate only the external flash for triggering??

I'm considering to sell my FZ-15. Here in Mexico they are not available!! I think I can make a good deal.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:36 AM   #4

Internal flash won't fire unless you open it up.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 1:26 PM   #5

msantos wrote:
Quote:
oohhh!! good idea Nick!! but.. how do you avoid internal flash from illuminating the scenario. For example, if you are taking a portrait and want a bounced flash??

Can you cover the internal flash, to illuminate only the external flash for triggering??

Then nooner said:

Internal flash won't fire unless you open it up.

I was going to ask the same question: If you're using a slave flash to provide more lighting or to try to help eliminate red-eye, won't you still get the red-eye effect from the built in flash? If you don't pop up the built-in flash, how will the slave unit know when to fire?
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 2:26 PM   #6

See Nick's reply above about other factors.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 3:56 PM   #7

Actually, in the case of the FZ-1, the DF200 simply overpowers the built in flash. I often use it for bounce. I let the little flash do its thing, and bounce the more powerful external flash to eliminate the the harsh shadows.
Again, for whatever reason, red-eye is nearly absent using the external, or its severity is minimized. There is no cable with the slave units (at least the one I have...), it's triggered by the light from the internal flash.

Indoor shots are "dramatically" improved using the FZ-1 with the flash, and its range matches the zoom. Glad I got it, but it takes practice. What's also nice about a slave is that you can position it anywhere in the room. The DF comes with a little mini tripod, and it will fire; it doesn't have to be on the L-bracket. Note however, other camera's flashes can set it off too. This has appened a couple times with me at parties but it hasn't been a real concern.

Flash photography is certainly a skill.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 6:59 PM   #8

msantos wrote:
Quote:
Does anybody know if I can "modify" my FZ-15 and attach any external flash??
Hi msantos,

I own an FZ15 too, and am also looking into the possibility of getting an external flash for it. There are a number of manufacturers who sell external flash units with "L" brackets, as NickTrop mentioned earlier. While not quite as convenient as having a hot shoe on your camera, it's really not a bad way to go. I've seen some models by SunPak and Phoenix, as well as a few others.

Just so that you can see what these "L" bracket mounts look like, here's a link to an eBay listing for a Phoenix flash unit that comes with the bracket(with SunPak, you have to buy the "L" bracket mount separately). This Phoenix unit is designed to work with our FZ15, and its flash works with the built-in flash. Check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Is the hot shoe the only reason why you're thinking of selling your FZ15 in order to get an FZ20? The hot shoe, the extra megapixel, and the sound recording capabilities are the three features that you get with the FZ20, that you don't with the 15. Other folks here have said that the 15 may have a slight edge in overall image quality, over the 20.
Search through the threads, and you'll find the discussions about this.

'Hope this may be of help....

Geoff
sukispop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 9:26 PM   #9

sukispop wrote:
Quote:
Just so that you can see what these "L" bracket mounts look like, here's a link to an eBay listing for a Phoenix flash unit that comes with the bracket(with SunPak, you have to buy the "L" bracket mount separately). This Phoenix unit is designed to work with our FZ15, and its flash works with the built-in flash. Check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Just to clarify, though, the picture cited of the bracket that comes with the Phoenix (which is exactly the same as the Vivitar) isn't technically an L bracket, though it's perfectly fine to use. This bracket has a home alongside other whatsits in my desk drawer. The flash sits at the side of the camera. A true L-bracket holds the flash a few inches above the camera. It also has a handle grip that "really" helps to steady the camera. Well worth the extra $20 or so, imo.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 10:37 AM   #10

Thanks for the link Sukispop, and NickTrop... thanks a lot for the tip, I really appreciate that.

The Phoenix stuff seems to be a good deal, however, I found this two items that seems very useful to (flash is exactly the same NickTrop suggested)

they are from Adorama:

http://www.adorama.com/VVDF200.html?...&item_no=1

http://www.adorama.com/SUDCFA.html?s...&item_no=1

With this tip, I'm not longer considering selling my FZ-15. I also read the post where says it has better performance than FZ-20, and audio & Megapixeles are not enough important to me.

Receive all my best Regards!!