Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 27, 2005, 3:49 AM   #1

Hi everyone I recently ordered the wonderful FZ-20 after hearing so many good things about it
I also ordered the Hoya SUPER HMC Multi Coated UV Filter 72mm ,
To filter out evil UV rays(?) and to protect the precious leica lense(!)
Am I going to need any special adapter to use the filter on the camera or is it just a simple screw on?
Will I be able to use the lense cover with the filter on?
Should I keept it on the camera at all times (indoor shots and macro included)? ,or would that affect the quality of image?
Thanks in advance ,

Amir

Amiroquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 4:30 AM   #2

Check here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=38263&forum_id=23

and here:

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/

Using what you have now will work in protecting the lens. Keep it on. There can be a problem with flaring due to the distance of the lens from the filter. It is best to have the smallest gap between the lens end and the filter.

Someone posted that the Raynox adapter is closest of them all.

The Phayee is most popular in its versatility.

The current set-up will cause problems using onboard flash as the hood will cause a dark shadow or image at the bottom of your picture. Hence, it is too big for the flash.

Your question as you will see in the first link has been asked many times.

A suggestion is to use the search function for your question.

This is a friendly and quite alively board with some humor that is not readily understood by someone new. Take the time to read over the posts here and get familiar with some great people here as well as tips, hints and wonderful pictures posted here.

Welcome to the Panasonic group. The members here are a great bunch.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:45 PM   #3

Amiroquai wrote:
Quote:
Hi everyone I recently ordered the wonderful FZ-20 after hearing so many good things about it
Am I going to need any special adapter to use the filter on the camera or is it just a simple screw on?
Should I keept it on the camera at all times (indoor shots and macro included)? ,or would that affect the quality of image?
Thanks in advance ,

Amir
I cannot seem to come to grips with why people go out of their way to overspend on filters and then go by a cheap knock off adapter from China. Yes, the 72mm will screw on to you Panasonic adapter, but you soon realize that the design places the filter to far way from the front element causing internal flares. You should have bought a 62mm adapter for $30.00 and a Hoya 62mm B series dual coated adapter for $20.00. You have to be running a chromatic analyzer to see the improvement between the two. I suggest that next time you keep you money in your pocket until you are educated and can make a rational decisions. The next thing you will get is a Circular polarizer when the less expensive linear polarizer is the correct purchase.

Slow down

Start taking pictures and for get the hardware.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 8:21 AM   #4

playlong wrote:
Quote:
Amiroquai wrote:
Quote:
Thanks in advance ,

Amir
I cannot seem to come to grips with why people go out of their way to overspend on filters and then go by a cheap knock off adapter from China. Yes, the 72mm will screw on to you Panasonic adapter, but you soon realize that the design places the filter to far way from the front element causing internal flares. You should have bought a 62mm adapter for $30.00 and a Hoya 62mm B series dual coated adapter for $20.00. You have to be running a chromatic analyzer to see the improvement between the two. I suggest that next time you keep you money in your pocket until you are educated and can make a rational decisions. The next thing you will get is a Circular polarizer when the less expensive linear polarizer is the correct purchase.

Slow down

Start taking pictures and for get the hardware.

Apparently I've educated a lot since yesterday:idea:
Changed my order to a 62 mm uv filter and Ordered me a Phayee Adapter
As an amateur newbie photographer the main reason I wanted to get a filter was to protect the leica lense, as I heard that was recommended ,but then I was told about the flaring issue, so I ordered me both the phayee adapter and a 62mm uv filter

Amiroquai is offline   Reply With Quote