Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 27, 2005, 1:46 PM   #1

Hey there guys after doing a search of these forums...I seem to have settled on 2 choices that seem good to me. Both are collapsable and fit my size 52mm raynox adaptor. My question is whether one is better than the other...please take a look at both and give me an answer.

The adorama one is a bit more expensive but seems to really have long zoom protection. Will this cause Vignetting?

http://www.adorama.com/LNHZ52.html?s...&item_no=1

The ebay one is cheaper and I know that I can collapse it completely if i need to but does it really provide enough protection? its only about 1 1/2 inch long at full extension.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....91042&rd=1

I would greatly appreciate an comments from experts out there and people who have used these hoods. Thanks a million in advance for all your help

Seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 1:48 PM   #2

The ebay link say 72mm but they have the exact same one in 52mm size as well. Thats why i provided this link.

seth
Old Jan 27, 2005, 9:06 PM   #3

indiawala wrote:
Quote:
Hey there guys after doing a search of these forums...I seem to have settled on 2 choices that seem good to me. Both are collapsable and fit my size 52mm raynox adaptor. My question is whether one is better than the other...please take a look at both and give me an answer.

The adorama one is a bit more expensive but seems to really have long zoom protection. Will this cause Vignetting?

http://www.adorama.com/LNHZ52.html?s...&item_no=1

The ebay one is cheaper and I know that I can collapse it completely if i need to but does it really provide enough protection? its only about 1 1/2 inch long at full extension.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....91042&rd=1

I would greatly appreciate an comments from experts out there and people who have used these hoods. Thanks a million in advance for all your help

Seth
The problem with lens hoods for the Panasonic FZ10/20 is that there are none, including Panasonic, that protects past 250mm. I made one but I only use it on very sunny days or on location closer to the equator.

http://lovelife.smugmug.com/photos/6844578-M-1.jpg
The rest of the time, I use the Hoya 3 position rubber hood. It covers to about 250mm. I am in the process of deigning a new hood with a unique concept. You and I seem to be the only ones that think this is important. I have first hand knowledge of the benefit.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 10:59 PM   #4

I know that I should have been paying attention in shop class growing up...now I see the benefits but its too late for me...alas. Playlong, I wish I could craft something like yours...Thank you for the input

seth
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:09 PM   #5

playlong,

I looked at the picture of the hood you made. What did you use to make that and how did you affix it to the camera. I am assuming that this is over the original hood.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 4:10 PM   #6

I know that rezajune is the resident expert on these hoods but I dont' think he checks in as often as he used to...I would have loved to get his opinion. My setup is a bit different from the one he recommends but he probably could still help me tons.

seth
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:54 AM   #7

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
playlong,

I looked at the picture of the hood you made. What did you use to make that and how did you affix it to the camera. I am assuming that this is over the original hood.
Itfits over the threads of the FZ10 and is held in place by and adapter which I am going to produce for sale.I have a use it in very bright areas and it destroys ambient light. I can also fit my TCON 14B inside with about 2 inches cover.

It is made out of a plastic Deli container the inside was painted black annd before drying i pour in photographic flocking,

Eliminating any chance of bouncing light inside. I painted the outside with silver paint held 20" away to give it a metallic look. The deli lid was painted black and I have an elastic loop lens keeper attached to the barrel. I can shoot directly into the sun. This ugly guy was shot at about 1:00pm note the shadows are in front and the colors a vivid. Most people on the forum have no idea how the quality improves with a big hood, which the zooms need.

Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:57 AM   #8

indiawala wrote:
Quote:
I know that I should have been paying attention in shop class growing up...now I see the benefits but its too late for me...alas. Playlong, I wish I could craft something like yours...Thank you for the input

seth
You can it is only a plastic deli container.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:06 AM   #9

indiawala wrote:
Quote:
The ebay link say 72mm but they have the exact same one in 52mm size as well. Thats why i provided this link.

seth
The Hoya 3 position hood is a bit deeper then the Hama, but it has one drawback.

It does not accept a lens cap. I think if you can find the right diameter jar or deli cover and paint it black it could fit over the top.

I am in the process of designing a new lens hood and purchased 3 different sized Hoyas. I will sell you a 52 or 58 for $17.00 plus shipping. If you are interested send an email to [email protected].