Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 27, 2005, 5:14 PM   #1

I just ordered the Phaynee adapter for my FZ-20 along with a Hoya UV filter (62mm)
I was looking at Rezajune's pana (picture enclosed)and noticed the Collapsible Rubber Lens Hoods and how he said it was very important.
Couldn't I just use the originally supplied panasonic flower lense hood instead of the rubber one? is that rubber one just for comfort as it could just be collapsed back when switching from on shot to another and not having to deal with screwing and unscrewing?or are there other advantages for it?
wouldn't the supplied 72 mm extender ring that comes with the phaynee adapter be enough as a lens hood or is iit too short?
Thanks in advance for all your answers ,

Amir
Attached Images

Amiroquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 6:52 PM   #2

Hello Amir...i am a bit confused. You have a 62mm UV filter so I am assuming that you have an adapter as well to allow you the use of the 62mm filter. The original thread size for the FZ20 is 72mm and the adaptor and flower hood are fit for that. Remember that the hood also does not have threads ... its a bayonet mount (where you use a screw to tighten it).

If you have a 62mm adaptor then the original hood wouldn't fit...if you are using the original adaptor then the UV filter won't fit.

I hope i am making sense

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:37 PM   #3

Hey Seth
Well I have the Phayee adapter ,but it also comes with this 72 mm ring?

The outer ring in picture
The inner one is obviously 62 mm where the filter is going to be mounted, but the outer is 72mm , no?

Isn't Rezajune's rubber hood 72mm? it's the exact same Phayee adapter that shows in first pic I posted on this thread
I'm kind of making assumptions as I don't know much about photography and I haven't even gotten my FZ-20 yet (on it's way) I just want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff for it
so far I've ordered the phayee adapter ,hoya uv filter and a sandisk 256 mb ultra sd
I don't know how the screwing on the panasonic flower hood is going to be like but I'm guessing it's universal for all hoods (either female or male) , I know that the panasonic one is 72mm and the rubber one looks 72 mm as well, in proportions
so I'm guessing it should fit? as Rezajune's didn't use any other adapters except fot the phayee one in that pic and if that rubber onereally is 72mm...

here's the ebay item page :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I'd also like to know if there's a difference between a rubber hood and a flower plastic one aside from the rubber one being more comfortable to use (i think) as I wrote before

regards,

Amir
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:28 PM   #4

Amir,

The Panasonic plastic hood does not have 72mm threads. It will fit over the 72mm portion of the Phayee but would have to be secured by the supplied set screw. I don't how well it would be secured. I don't what to mark up my Phayee with that set screw so I didn't test it.

The rubber hood that Rezajune mentioned has 72mm threads which fits the Phayee extender.

John
jhbaker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:42 PM   #5

jhbaker3 wrote:
Quote:
Amir,

The Panasonic plastic hood does not have 72mm threads. It will fit over the 72mm portion of the Phayee but would have to be secured by the supplied set screw. I don't how well it would be secured. I don't what to mark up my Phayee with that set screw so I didn't test it.

The rubber hood that Rezajune mentioned has 72mm threads which fits the Phayee extender.

John
I get it now...
Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2005, 9:22 PM   #6

Amiroquai wrote:
Quote:
I just ordered the Phaynee adapter for my FZ-20 along with a Hoya UV filter (62mm)
I was looking at Rezajune's pana (picture enclosed)and noticed the Collapsible Rubber Lens Hoods and how he said it was very important.
Couldn't I just use the originally supplied panasonic flower lense hood instead of the rubber one? is that rubber one just for comfort as it could just be collapsed back when switching from on shot to another and not having to deal with screwing and unscrewing?or are there other advantages for it?
wouldn't the supplied 72 mm extender ring that comes with the phaynee adapter be enough as a lens hood or is iit too short?
Thanks in advance for all your answers ,

Amir
The problem with lens hoods for the Panasonic FZ10/20 is that there are none, including Panasonic, that protects past 250mm. I made one but I only use it on very sunny days or on location closer to the equator.

The rest of the time, I use the Hoya 3 position rubber hood. It covers to about 250mm. I am in the process of deigning a new hood with a unique concept. You and I seem to be the only ones that think this is important. I have first hand knowledge of the benefit.v
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote