Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:53 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 153
Default

Or should I just look for a Nikon 6T?
I could get this Hama set ,brand new for $60
http://www.hama.co.uk/product.asp?pr...&sectionid=145
What do you think guys?
Amiroquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:02 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,719
Default

um... that set would cost you more than $60... that price is listed in pounds sterling, not USD! at current exchange rates, the Hama lenses would set you back a bit over $100. on the bright side, with multiple lenses, you could mix-n-match to get just the strength you want for any given subject.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:08 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 153
Default

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
um... that set would cost you more than $60... that price is listed in pounds sterling, not USD! at current exchange rates, the Hama lenses would set you back a bit over $100. on the bright side, with multiple lenses, you could mix-n-match to get just the strength you want for any given subject.
I could get it from this store around where I live for $60
62mm ,(Phayee adapter)
I just don't know whether I should get the hama or the nikon
this brings me to another question, could I stack up more than 2 of those at the same time on the Phayee adapter?
Amiroquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:30 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,974
Default

Amiroquai wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
um... that set would cost you more than $60... that price is listed in pounds sterling, not USD! at current exchange rates, the Hama lenses would set you back a bit over $100. on the bright side, with multiple lenses, you could mix-n-match to get just the strength you want for any given subject.
I could get it from this store around where I live for $60
62mm ,(Phayee adapter)
I just don't know whether I should get the hama or the nikon
this brings me to another question, could I stack up more than 2 of those at the same time on the Phayee adapter?

Amiroquai,

playlong suggested in another thread you started that you should just get to know the camera and take pictures. You are doing your homework and you are going on overload as to what I should get for this and get for that. Continue to do your homework and be patient in getting everything right away.

The single most important thing whether you use the suppliedattachment or getting a phayee, raynox, pemeraal etc. Get a UV filter and keep it on. Some may say an ND filter. Whatever you use protect that lumix lens.

Stacking beyond two filters is not recommended. Choosing between the hama and the nikon would be a matter of someone having the experience of using the two. Thus far it looks like the nikon has manyboard membershere using it and have shown some beautifulpictures. I have yet to see anyone post anything with a hama filter.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:39 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 153
Default

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Amiroquai wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
um... that set would cost you more than $60... that price is listed in pounds sterling, not USD! at current exchange rates, the Hama lenses would set you back a bit over $100. on the bright side, with multiple lenses, you could mix-n-match to get just the strength you want for any given subject.
I could get it from this store around where I live for $60
62mm ,(Phayee adapter)
I just don't know whether I should get the hama or the nikon
this brings me to another question, could I stack up more than 2 of those at the same time on the Phayee adapter?

Amiroquai,

playlong suggested in another thread you started that you should just get to know the camera and take pictures. You are doing your homework and you are going on overload as to what I should get for this and get for that. Continue to do your homework and be patient in getting everything right away.

The single most important thing whether you use the supplied attachment or getting a phayee, raynox, pemeraal etc. Get a UV filter and keep it on. Some may say an ND filter. Whatever you use protect that lumix lens.

Stacking beyond two filters is not recommended. Choosing between the hama and the nikon would be a matter of someone having the experience of using the two. Thus far it looks like the nikon has many board members here using it and have shown some beautiful pictures. I have yet to see anyone post anything with a hama filter.
Thanks
Yea, I'm going to keep that UV filter on .
And wait a little before buying a close- up lense.

Here's a nice article I found about digital macro photographing from a Pro :
http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/article.htm
Amiroquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:59 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
playlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 237
Default


Amiroquai,




The single most important thing whether you use the supplied attachment or getting a phayee, raynox, pemeraal etc. Get a UV filter and keep it on. Some may say an ND filter. Whatever you use protect that lumix lens.

Thank you for your support. One minor correction that many folks have wasted money on. A ND filter has a bad name. What it does and what it is called is meaninglless. The ND is used in extremely bright lighting situations. It comes in four flavors and the purpose is to dramatically reduce the amount of light coming into the camera. Yes it is neutral everything passes with coloration change but the f-stops are dramatically altered.



Simply put if were very very bright and I wanted to shoot wide open for narrow DOF I could not do it unless my ISO were 20. Therefore, my cutting back the light I can open up my lens F-stops.




playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:42 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
TimvdVelde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 395
Default

ND gradient filter is the bomb when it's clouded you always have this overexposed sky. Gradient levels the sky and the ground. -> awesome
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 4:12 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Treemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 628
Default

Amiroquai, I my opinion I would not go for the Hama close-up lenses. I assume that they are single element lenses (going off the cost) and these tend to suffer from softening at the edge of the image. You would be much better off to go with the Nikon 6T (two element). I have it and have been amazed with the quality of the images it produces. The 6T dramatically increases the capability of the camera and you will have sooooo much fun with it.
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 9:07 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
fmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,116
Default

Agree with treemonkey. The close-up sets are NOT what you want as they are single element lens. Assuming you have a 62mm adapter, get the 6t.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:29 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
willow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,131
Default

Nikon 6T is the ticket...trust me!!!
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:24 AM.