Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 29, 2005, 8:17 AM   #1

Hi, I have been in Bangkok now for a week. Finding my way around here is fun with my pigeon Thai. It sure tests people. I think they understand my English better.

Pantip Plaza is one of the major IT centres in Bangkok. You can buy just about anything including pirate versions of software, movies and MP3s. Lots of shops stock the Panasonic FZ20 camera with a bit of variation in price. I finally got to take some pictures with one. Was able to zoom in on a guy about 10 metres away and get a close up of his face. He had no idea he’d been taken. It probably wasn’t in focus; I don’t think you take great photos with this camera without a bit of practice.

I asked about a guarantee. She told me it had an international guarantee. When I asked to see the document her English started to break down and she turned the camera over, showed me the serial number and said, ‘See-re-al num-bair Pan-a-son-eek’. And that was about all I could get from her.

Can one of you FZ20 owners tell me if it is normal to get your guarantee on paper?

Thanks

John
js63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:04 AM   #2

I think you need an answer from other countries..In the USA you do not get a warranty but you do get one for Canada.. it is in a separate envelope marked for Canada Only.

You do get a questionaire that is suppose to register the camera.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:08 AM   #3

When you say you do not get a warranty, do you mean: you get a warranty but not on paper, which is what I think she was trying to tell me.

Thanks for your reply.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:23 AM   #4

genece wrote:
Quote:
I think you need an answer from other countries..In the USA you do not get a warranty but you do get one for Canada.. it is in a separate envelope marked for Canada Only.

You do get a questionaire that is suppose to register the camera.
From Page 120 of the manual

Digital Still camera - 1 year parts, 90 days labor
CCD - 6 months parts, 90 days labor
Rechargable battery- 90 days parts, NA labor
SD card (all 16Mb of it)- 90 days parts, NA labor

Further down it states, in part, This warranty applies to products purchased and serviced in the United States and Puerto Rico. This warranty is exended only to the original purchaser of a new product taht was not sold as-is.

The card you refer to is for the Canadian warranty and appears to be 1 year full parts and labor on every thing. The card is there because the warranty is different. Not because of lack thereof in the USA.

JS63, That should, as well as the changing tone of the sales person, give some hint about warranty. If in real doubt, call panasonic with a serial number. I'm sure they'll tell you.

Good luck,
Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 5:12 AM   #5

Thanks Jeff, at the moment I am wandering around Cambodia, taking lots of photos with my old Kodak. When I return to Bangkok in a few weeks I will see what is inside the manual that comes with the camera in the way of a warranty.

I did get onto the Panasonic, Thailand website and sent them an email through that site but it bounced. Hope they look after customers better than they do their website.

I have also been told that Panasonic, Thailand will not honour warranties for cameras bought in,or imported indirectly from,another country. Funny, I thought Panasonic was an international company. Lets face it, a camera is one item you buy to travel with. If a warranty is not international it is not worth much to someone like me who might 'live' in up to four countries over a year.

Cheers

John
Old Feb 5, 2005, 6:33 AM   #6

js63 wrote:
Quote:
I have also been told that Panasonic, Thailand will not honour warranties for cameras bought in, or imported indirectly from, another country. Funny, I thought Panasonic was an international company. Lets face it, a camera is one item you buy to travel with. If a warranty is not international it is not worth much to someone like me who might 'live' in up to four countries over a year.

Cheers

John
I agree 100%. I've never understood the BS behind warrenties. It's probably some lawyer type thing and different countries require different guarentees. Then again, I would guess you could send it to the original coutry of purchase for service if need be..

Warrenties mean very little to me anyway. It's been my personal experience, with ALL electronics, that if the unit fails, it will do so one (1) day AFTER the warrenty expires anyway. Toshiba 5 disc DVD player ($500 original cost). Dell Computer ($1200 original cost).. I just hope my little panasonic doesn't follow suit.

Good luck,
Jeff

:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 6:50 AM   #7

Warranties for items not bought in the country where service is sought are always a grey area.

Whilst you may be buying from a registered Panasonic dealer in Thailand (make sure you are!), that dealer will have been supplied by Panasonic Thailand which will be, just as in Australia, the US -- almost any country --, a wholly owned stand-alone subsidary of Matsushita Japan and which operates at arms length from the parent.

At least, that's what they'll tell you when trying to duck out from under the warranty on something 'they' didn't sell.

I speak from experience here -- have been through it with several companies, plus have been an electronics reseller.

My FZ20, bought in Australia, came with a "Limited Worldwide Warranty" requiring both dealer and customer to complete it at the time of sale (I don't know how many of them would actually be filled in, since it was inside a sealed envelope in the sealed carton), plus a generic warranty leaflet (I have several of them) from Panasonic Australia Pty Ltd, which covers me for the standard twelve months within Australia and includes a nation-wide contact number for the service centres.

I assume the worldwide warranty would only need to be filled in for a buyer from overseas, or a local who proposed to take it out of the country.

Having said that, I recall many years ago having a problem with a camcorder purchased in Singapore, and the local company (probably the biggest one in camcorders -- work it out for yourself...) flatly refused to honour the warranty on it -- I could either ship it back to Singapore or pay for the repair (it was a firmware defect that was fixed for all local purchasers on presentation of their machine, they charged me $240.)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:14 AM   #8

Well, yesterday I parted with 21,900 baht ($US568) for my FZ20. This is 4,000 baht (about $US100) cheaper than the same shop was selling it for when I first started looking and is equal to the best price I saw in Bangkok.

I had been hanging out in case Panasonic were going to announce a new model but I trust that for the moment the FZ4 & 5 are all that are coming. Also my old Kodak DC265 finally gave up after 400 photos in 4 days at Angkor Wat.

The new camera comes with a 12 month dealer warranty, not Panasonic. They said they import the cameras themselves. I figured there was no point in going with a Panasonic warranty if Panasonic will not honour them in a different country from where you bought it. With this company, if it goes wrong within one month they replace the camera; within 12 months they send it to Panasonic and pay for the repair. Sounds fair to me. My friend (and translator) has been dealing with this company for some time.

No doubt I will have some questions for the forum in the near future. At the moment most of my photos are out of focus. Much to learn.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:16 AM   #9

Something went wrong there. That should read $US568.