Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:19 AM   #1

bear with me..I am not a great fan of flash photography never had much luck with it !!! but I made a diffuser and gave it a shot...this is only a test to see how much using a diffuser cuts glare.......

I know there is some issues with these shots but no harsh hot spots that I can tell

give me some feedback on overall evening of light through out the shot
Attached Images

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:47 AM   #2

Wilow, i like # 1 the best. the other two suffer a bit from too little DOF. no bllown-out spots to speak of; if anything, the 'back' of the images almost seems a little too dim. trade-off for not having hot spots up front. i suppose. overall, i'd say your diffuser works! :-)

is that a slot car, or just a plastic display kit?

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:24 PM   #3

Squirl....these where shot in "S mode" (I almost always shoot in manual mode) with these shot it was all most full darkness in the room F/5 is what the camera chose with 1/60 thats why its lacking in DOF but blurring some parts is cool at times...not sure if i should have little or no over head light??? I just know that in the past when using flash I always get hot spots and it look tacky to me....I do feel that thediffuser did help a lot with the hot spots I just need some feedback from any one that has shot indoor macros with flash....most all of my live bug macros where shot in doors with no flash just over head light but objects like the "die-cast" car in these shots and metals object like watches I have problems with using the flash....any help is welcomed........:P

Help a m8t out!!!!
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:48 PM   #4

some kind of overhead lighting is usually desirable to 'backfill' the rear of the image. you definitely will need something to diffuse the flash though, since the FZ doesn't have a thyristor control to automatically reduce flash output at close ranges... i've used a flash for close-up work many times in the past, but i've had an external unit i could use with a diffuser and set to bounce off the ceiling (or a bent 3x5 file card taped to the flash head) to avoid harsh hot spots. with the FZ, i don't have that option, but a few layers of tissue and a rubber band will serve as an acceptable "make-shift" diffuser, enough toget rid ofthe hot spots and glaring reflections from shiny bits. it's adjustable, too... too bright? add another layer of tissue. too dim? take one away. not very 'professional', and a bit tough to use 'in the field', unless you keep some tissues in your camera bag, but quite workable nonetheless. you can also dial down the intensity of the flash using the flash EV adjustment feature...
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:46 PM   #5

Willow, i shot these at f4, 1/60, compulsory flash, from about 8 inches away. the room lights were on, but behind me, so the watch was in shadow on the desktop. i wrapped a single layer of printer paper over the flash head with a rubber band. as you can see, it took out most of the hot spots, no overpowering reflections from the watch...

Old Jan 29, 2005, 2:17 PM   #6

Cant see it my man!!!!
Old Jan 29, 2005, 2:49 PM   #7

i tried uploading to photobucket and coping the pics from there... i must be doing something wrong. i'll try it the 'old-fashioned' way...

Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:23 PM   #8

looks good but see the overexposed section of the dial face its just me but that would drive me crazy..thats the highlights I would like to elemate...lol I an going to save me up a buck or 2 and get a light box:GBut i think it can still be dealt with by more defusing the flash and a slower shutter speed for a more even exposure..thx and keep them comming....as all help and input is welcomed

btw..Iam using Nikon 6T shooting for f/8 for wall to wall sharpness...
Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:39 PM   #9

i had my 6T on forthat shot. and in fairness, the watch dial is such that almost any halfway bright light will reflect that way from certain angles -even daylight coming in through a window will produce some of that effect. it's really a 'wrost-case' situation for close-up shooting. plus, I was shooting pretty much straight at it... off to one side or another would've gotten rid of a lot of that reflection.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 4:08 PM   #10

I understand....and I think what I am looking for is unrealistic with a on board flash on metals.....

the dial on this 1 looks ok but the harsh highlights on the band is not going away:shock:

LOL I give......
Attached Images