Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:40 AM   #1
RDV

I followed some of the debates on out of the camera verses PP. I downloaded a trail version of elements and processed some of what I thought was my better pics. My limited findings were no matter how good the pic is, some processing can make it better. Please comment on this pic before and after.

Before

Attached Images

RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:48 AM   #2
RDV

after

Nooner I replaced and sharpened very little

Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:50 AM   #3

It's oversharpened. The colors of the water look odd.
I think that looks better, but that's just one opinion:arrow:
Oh yeah..............nice avatar:shock:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:25 PM   #4

It is all a matter of taste...It seems even the people with the expensive cameras post process at least to a certainextent. That is what digital is all about,what they use to have to do in a darkroom can now be done on a computer.

What I find, is I get in a rut where I do too much of one thing or another.

Both those photos look fine but one somewhere in between may have been better,

maybe .. maybe not.

But for sure if you do it on the computer you can go back to the original, if the result is not what you were looking for.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 2:04 PM   #5

genece wrote:
Quote:
That is what digital is all about,what they use to have to do in a darkroom can now be done on a computer.*
Oh contrare... the single biggest advantage is that you no longer need a darkroom or chemicals to process images. What RVD just did as a beginner with a $70 software package would take years of experience and perhaps several trials, and thousands of dollars in equipment to do with film.

The "weak link" of digital is the very technology that make it possible, the CCD technology used to capture the image. It simply can not produce as high a resolution image, affordably, as its electrochemical counterpart, film.

This is why I like the Lumix line so much. It enables you to get shots better than - literally, any other camera in the history of photography at a price that is affordable to a non-professional. This is crucial... if you can't get the shot, there is no image to process. It's also why I think most reviewers were so off-base regarding these cameras, along with the original Oly Uzi's. They represented a true paradigm shift in photographic art. They weren't just "big zoom" cameras. (Are you listening Steve?) The Lumix excels at "getting the shot" via a fixed lens system that negates the need for a range of interchangeable lenses, and an IS system that negates the need to lug a tripod around. Look at the magnificent bird photography on this forum. Amatures who have only had their cameras a couple days, and no real photographic experience can zoom-in and take a crystal clear, gorgeous shot of a bird, hand held. The image quality of digital, however, is not on par with film. As always there is a trade off, and that's it. To get a digital image to be as visually appealing as film, one must master digital post processing, which is were most of the magic of digital really is.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:42 PM   #6
RDV

Thanks for the replies.

Thank you Nick for your explanation!

I've been reading most everything posted on this forum for a while and some guys seem to think if it doesn't come out of the box perfect that you will not improve your skills if you post process. A friend of mine that used film and his own dark room for years and now uses DSLR told me basically the same thing you stated. If the lighting, focus, and composition are good"one must master digital post processing, which is were most of the magic of digital really is".

Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:59 PM   #7

RDV wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the replies.

Thank you Nick for your explanation!

I've been reading most everything posted on this forum for a while and some guys seem to think if it doesn't come out of the box perfect that you will not improve your skills if you post process.
That misses the entire point of digital, and why I laugh at most reviews of cameras. Most of how an image looks "out of the camera" at this stage is a conscious decision on the part of the camera manufacturer. That wasn't always the case, mind you, but this is a mature technology now, the "leapfrog" days are pretty much over in terms of what you can get from a CMOS or CCD sensor. This is especially true of the mid-price-range consumer cameras.

It even applies to optics. Barrel distortion, for instance, was something that was difficult (impossible?) to correct in the film days, and something that distinguised low-end from pricey wide-angle lenses. I can correct this distortion in, literally, 2 seconds in Photoshop now. Same with color issues, and exposure issues within reason. I can go on and on with similar examples. Hell, I can even add pixels, and is why I'm 100% satisfied with a two megapixel camera, but that's a rant for another day.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:29 PM   #8

Which one looked more like what your eye saw when you took the shot. They are both good, but only you know how it looked

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:09 PM   #9
RDV

Thanks for your reply bobc.

I realize that I saw the scene as it was captured, but I was looking for an objective critic on the pics as they are by some folfs that view lots of pics. Keep working out. I had a heart attack last year, started walking, and have lost 70 lbs.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 1:24 AM   #10

RDV,
I have been learning the art of post processing with Elements. I have had many great tips from others that have viewed my photos. Some of my pictures were pretty good right out of the camera and some really needed some help. The most startling thing to me was when I took some of my pictures in to be printed. I had some shots that I wanted to see enlarged. So, I took them to a big box stores that has 1hour processing and had them printed at 8 x 10 and some 12x 18. I was astounded at how they came out. No matter how good they look on the computer screen they will look even better printed on really good photo paper run through a professional photo processor, not a deskjet printer. I urge everyone to take one of your photos in and have it professionally processed. Then come back and tell me if it doesn't look even better than it does on your screen. Maybe it's just me but I don't think so. Try it. I want to here your opinions.

RDV, I think your pictures both look pretty good. In my opinion the best picture is the one you like the best. After all, we take the pictures because we liked the subject and thought it would be an interesting picture. No one else might like it but in most cases that's not why we shot the picture in the first place. Try taking one of those photos in to be printed and see if you aren't pleased with the result.

All the best,
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote