Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 31, 2005, 8:20 PM   #11

slick2 wrote:
Quote:
I have a Panasonic FZ1 and a Hoya circular polarizing filter. My problem is that I am not able to see any change in the viewfinder or on the screen as I turn the filter. With a film camera the difference is very visible as the filter is turned. Is my problem typical, or uncommon? Anything I can do to solve it? Thanks!
You spent too much money on the CPL when the LP works better on the FZ.

Polarizers do not work in any direction. The most effective camera polarizer position is having the side of you face directed toward the sun and the camera directed 90 degrees from that direction. Gradual turning in either direction will have a gradual loss of effectiveness and none when you reach 180 degrees. Here is a little secret. Linear polarizes are slightly more effect then Circular polarizer as the photographer approaches 180 degrees.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:56 PM   #12

I truly appreciate all the replies. However, the end result is that I still don'thave an answer to my question. I'm starting to think there is none.
slick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 6:20 AM   #13

I think you're probably right -- I tried a couple of different brand CPL's on my FZ20 and couldn't see any perceptible change on either screen or EVF.

Might be my eyesight (I'm past 80), but I think it just doesn't show.

Shows up on pix, tho', so they obviously work.

In case you think I'm made of money with more than one of these things, I bought them as part of a job lot from a bankrupt estate, years ago -- cost me a buck each.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:41 PM   #14

it was sunny out this afternoon, so i put the polarizer on my Fz to see if i could see the effect. it doesn't jump out and grab you, but you can definitely see the sky get darker as you turn the polarizer. the FZ LCD or EVF should both show the change as the filter is turned.

as for whether a linear polarizer works better than a circular, i couldn't say. i think any decent polarizer will have pretty much the same effect, and the worst that'll happen if you buy a CPL is you'll pay a few bucks more. no matter which one you use, you should be able to see the effect with an FZ10/15/20.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:35 AM   #15

Hey, is your camera set to the manual mode??? Good ole Rezajune (what ever happened to that handsome chap???) I believe wrote in telling us that the camera needs to be in manual, b/c in the auto modes as you turn the filter it compensates so that you won't see the difference. Holding the shutter halfway should do the same thing, I guess, but that is way too cumbersome for my little fingers. I have had trouble seeing the difference even in manual. I would assume you need to point the camera at something that needs polarizing - like a windshield, or reflections on water. I have even had trouble pointing it at clouds and seeing a difference. But it was there. I think using a polarizer takes time, patience and practice. And I am no expert, I just know about setting the camera to manual, that's all. I would really like to see people's pics with and without polarizing so that I could become better using it. I have some great cloud shots, and I got tired putting the polarizer on, so I left it off and the pics look great without it, but I still would like to learn how to use it. Sorry, I am living up to my last name right now.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 3:38 AM   #16

Idle wrote:
Quote:
I think you're probably right -- I tried a couple of different brand CPL's on my FZ20 and couldn't see any perceptible change on either screen or EVF.

Might be my eyesight (I'm past 80), but I think it just doesn't show.

Shows up on pix, tho', so they obviously work.ilme

In case you think I'm made of money with more than one of these things, I bought them as part of a job lot from a bankrupt estate, years ago -- cost me a buck each.
cpl'S are more sublte than linear pol. filters...
on a film slr CPL is subtle on a DIGI cam with EVF hard to pick the effect.
Linear from other posts in here much more obvoious..
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:20 AM   #17

FZs don't have great EVFs. As has been said, it is just hard to see the effect like you can with a SLR screen.

Get hold of some polarized sunglasses – you could do it in Wal-Mart if you don't have or want any. Make sure the sunglasses are perfectly horizontal and turn your polarizer until it is completely dark when looking through both the sunglasses and filter. Make marks at the horizontal points. Put those straight up and you will have almost all of your polarizing effect in most situations. The only exception might be eliminating reflections from things that aren't horizontal like water. Many filters already come with the marks.

I wear polarized sunglasses all the time and often tilt my head to see how much improvement I could get in certain situations by tweaking the polarization from the horizontal. I hardly ever improve over the glasses being horizontal. And in the rare cases where there is improvement it is very slight. The camera sees the same thing as you do through the glasses.

Another approach might be to buy a pair of polarized glasses. They are pretty cheap at Wally World. Match the mark on the polarizer with the tilt of your head. If you do that you will probably confirm that you can just set the mark straight up in most cases.

You can't see the difference between a linear and circular polarizer. The effect is the same. The circular polarizers have extra layers to provide information so auto focus and exposure metering will work properly on some SLR cameras that require it. CP is just a waste of money for most non-DSLR digital cameras. There is a difference in either metering or density of the filter in the samples, but not in the effect. You can see the same reflections in both. Even out the exposures and the polarizing effect is the same. In simple terms a CP has a LP as its first layer. Shifting the light after that doesn't cancel out the original filtering of polarized light. In other words it can't add the information back that the linear polarizer removed.

Quote:
could have something to do with the fact that the FZ'z don't use TTL viewfinders
Say what?

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:52 PM   #18

Nancy,

I have an FZ1 and it does not have a manual mode.

Lee
slick2 is offline   Reply With Quote