Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:21 PM   #1

I have a Panasonic FZ1 and a Hoya circular polarizing filter. My problem is that I am not able to see any change in the viewfinder or on the screen as I turn the filter. With a film camera the difference is very visible as the filter is turned. Is my problem typical, or uncommon? Anything I can do to solve it? Thanks!
slick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2005, 8:19 PM   #2

could have something to do with the fact that the FZ'z don't use TTL viewfinders, and the EVF may not be able to distinguish the change... i haven't tried with my polarizer yet... haven't had chance to use the camera on a sunnyday since i got it, and it's almost impossible to tell the difference under artificial light.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 8:29 PM   #3

Please let me know when you do have a chance to try it.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 9:34 PM   #4

you should be able to see the difference on the LCD screen or in the EVF. i put my polarizer (also a Hoya circular) on my FZ, then took one of the polarizers from my old 35mm SLR and held it in front ofthe FZ lens. when i turned the polarizer on the FZ, the image - seen through both filters - got darker till it was almost opaque, then lightened up again as i turned the filter ring. not as good a test as actually taking pictures, but it does provethe polarizer effect IS visible on the LCD... and as soon as i get a sunny day with some time to take the camera out (it's usually almost dark by the time i get home, and the last couple of weekends have been rainy), i'll try it on sky and let you know.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:02 PM   #5

Thanks. I appreciate it.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:20 PM   #6

You should be able to see the polarizing effect with both, LCD and EVF.

I have done that with my linear polarizer. I don't know what happens with circular polarizer.

With linear, Try pointing your camera to the blue sky (not the sun!!) and slowly turn arround your polarizing filter. You will see the blue becomes darker and ligther again.

Today I tried pointing to a sun reflection on the rear window of my car. Turning the polarizer, the reflection practically went out.

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 4:41 PM   #7

Also, if the effect of the polarizer is hard to see, try depressing the shutter button half way to lock exposure, then turn the polarizer. The FZwill change exposure settings to compensate for the cahnge in light, which makes the polarizer effect harder to distinguish.
Vmax911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 5:10 PM   #8

slick2 wrote:
Quote:
I have a Panasonic FZ1 and a Hoya circular polarizing filter. My problem is that I am not able to see any change in the viewfinder or on the screen as I turn the filter. With a film camera the difference is very visible as the filter is turned. Is my problem typical, or uncommon? Anything I can do to solve it? Thanks!
I have same prob with my FZ1 and polarizing filter you cant see a change.
On my 35mmslr its subtle anyways think the fz1 evf is too grainy and dim the LCD too
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 5:43 PM   #9

From what I have read else where, you will only see a difference when you turn the filter if it is liner. A circular polarizing filter is made in such a way that it is working any direction it happens to be on the camera. That is why they usually cost more. There are some old threads on this, try doing a search for more detailed info. I have also read that FZ1-FZ20 do not need a circular one. these are for SLR with split image viewfinder.
Hope that helps.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 8:09 PM   #10

Austintatious wrote:
Quote:
From what I have read else where, you will only see a difference when you turn the filter if it is liner. A circular polarizing filter is made in such a way that it is working any direction it happens to be on the camera. That is why they usually cost more. There are some old threads on this, try doing a search for more detailed info. I have also read that FZ1-FZ20 do not need a circular one. these are for SLR with split image viewfinder.
Hope that helps.
LPs and CPLs work the same way. LPs are inherently better because the CPL is a compromise of the original design to facilitate beam split focus cameras, which the FZ series is not. BTW it is not necessary to spend big bucks on multicoated filters. A filter with one coat on each side Hoya Series B will work just as good as the multi. You will never see the difference.....
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote