Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 29, 2005, 9:20 PM   #1

I am trying...F 8.0 natural light. no editing yet. And this is what I'm doing on a Saturday night! joe

I could have polished off the fingerprints!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2005, 9:32 PM   #2

I wouldn't worry about the aperture setting. What do you mean by natural light? This look like the flash went off. What camera are you using?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 9:44 PM   #3

exif shows the flash fired plus your using red eye reduction. I would turn off redeye. also your sharpness is set on high. You might turn it down and maybe experiment with the flash power.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:37 PM   #4

To be honest? 'bout the same.

Tips...

1. Use a tripod!
2. Use Spot focus- aim at a high contrast vertical line in the jewelery
3. Use a makeshift diffuser for the flash. A piece of tracing paper will work fine. Hold it in front of the flash, and let the camera fire using the self timer.
4. Use autoadjust levels in Photoshop if you can, or learn how to use the unsharp mask. (If you don't have access to this I will do it for you for a reasonable number of photos. PM me if you need help. Don't be shy, it's no biggie...)
5. Experiment with the macro setting, natural light (no flash) and long shutter speeds (1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, etc) in conjunction with 50 (prefered) or 100 iso. but if you do, you must use a tripod...
6. Use the self timer.

The gist of the above tips... these images look a little soft. It looks like it's due to motion blur. If you're not using a tripod, invest in one.

Also, the images here are pretty large. Will they be this big in their intended use? Resize them to the size they will apear in the ad, and the results may surprise you. Larger images (especially on a computer screen) emphasize flaws.

Attached Images

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:57 PM   #5

Yes, this was the flash shot. My natural light from the window was worse. I did shoot this on a tripod. But my house is built on sand...

I've got a sunpak 144, should I step up to a better flash?

and Nick, I printed your reply, thanks!. I'll begin my homework just as soon as Barrett-Jackson auction is over, my other hobbie.
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:01 PM   #6

You may also get a better effect by hanging the lewlery away from the background, and using a lower aperture numberto blur the background. This would make the jewelry stand out more.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:04 PM   #7

Another thing I might try... hang the earings and let them dangle from something, keep the backdrop a few feet back. I think a dark blue, or the the complimentary color (or opposite color on a color wheel. You have an arts background, you know what I mean...) of the stones. There's also not enough contrast between the metalic chain and the background. They're too close in color...

... just a(nother) thought.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:04 PM   #8

bobc wrote:
Quote:
You may also get a better effect by hanging the lewlery away from the background
Great(???) minds think alike. :lol:
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:37 PM   #9

Try this...

Hang the jewelry away from the background...

Set the camera up on a tripod directly in front and set the zoom...

Light the jewelry from the side(s) somehow...

Keep adjusting the light(s) until you get the detail you want by looking through the camera...

Tweek the aperture to blur the background to your liking...

Keep this as kind of a permenent fixture that you can re-use...

If you have other jewelry to shoot, you just need to tweek the lighting depending on the type of jewelry.

Just a suggestion.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:54 PM   #10

You might also try making a display board.

Just use some scraps of dark (Black, Dark Blue etc) colored cloth, velour or some other non-shiny fabric attached to a piece of cardboard. You can then angle the board to get the best shot without the jewelry slipping off. And it doesn't fight with the flash. And it's easy to change when you need to highlight different pieces.
One last thing. If you use a tripod be sure to turn the OIS off. For some reason it doesn't like to work with a tripod. At least that's been my experience.

They are getting better, Good luck,
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote