Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:30 PM   #1

Mr Yoshida has announced the fz3 adapter to handle tcon17,etc; available end of February. ~$60 See http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12054073
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2005, 1:06 PM   #2

Thanks for that post. Definitely makes a decision for those who still want the small size and ease of use and the ability to add-on.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:08 PM   #3

A quick question for those that own his other products. When the web site says something like;

"Attention
1. It is not possible to operate by other lenses so that this adapter is only Olympus. "

Is this just being cautious because that is the only lens he has tested it with or is there something about the TCON-17 that is really different.

I would want to install the Yoshida and then put my mc-uv filter on the end of that. Then place any other lenses onto the uv filter as many have recommended to do with the other FZ cameras.

It sure looks like if you mounted a filter to the Yoshida it would be much closer then the filter on the stock unit. Has a great shaved look compared to the stock unit and would be much stronger then the stock unit. Seeing as how it is "keyed" into the body of the FZ3 I would think this is a very stable and secure connection.

-Brett

bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:40 PM   #4

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
Is this just being cautious because that is the only lens he has tested it with or is there something about the TCON-17 that is really different.
Mr Yoshidagave the same tcon17 limitationto the model 295 fz1/2 adapter. I use it for everything. No problems at all. I believe he was/is being overly cautious because there is so little room between the camera lens and the converter lens. Which is good as long as the lens don'ttouch. Some rear converteroptics are more convex and could possibly come in contact with the extendedcamera lens. This does not happen with the tcon17 or the tl55 which also has 55mm threads. Any non-55mm lens would require a step ring which would put more distance between the lens. Yoshida adapters are very well made. I would consider this adapter to be an essential addition to the fz3 arsinal.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:23 PM   #5

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
It sure looks like if you mounted a filter to the Yoshida it would be much closer then the filter on the stock unit. Has a great shaved look compared to the stock unit and would be much stronger then the stock unit. Seeing as how it is "keyed" into the body of the FZ3 I would think this is a very stable and secure connection.

-Brett

I don't think it will be any closer than the filter on the stock unit. I have the stock (plastic) adapter on my FZ3 with a skylight filter threaded onto the adapter. There is very little distance between the filter and the cmaera's lens when the lens is zoomed all the way out. I think the biggest advantage of the Yoshida adapter is that it (appears to be) made of metal, and therefore I would assume that it is a little stronger than the stock unit. I would feel much more comfortable putting a large add-on lens on his metal adapter than I would on the stock plastic unit. For just a filter or two, I will continue to use the stock adapter.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:40 PM   #6

propwash wrote:
Quote:
I don't think it will be any closer than the filter on the stock unit. I have the stock (plastic) adapter on my FZ3 with a skylight filter threaded onto the adapter. There is very little distance between the filter and the cmaera's lens when the lens is zoomed all the way out. I think the biggest advantage of the Yoshida adapter is that it (appears to be) made of metal, and therefore I would assume that it is a little stronger than the stock unit. I would feel much more comfortable putting a large add-on lens on his metal adapter than I would on the stock plastic unit. For just a filter or two, I will continue to use the stock adapter.
I also have the stock unit installed with an "cheap" promaster uv filter on it. It could be just the difference in filters but I can still see at least two of the adapter threads plus the thickness of the inside of the filter between the lens and the back side of the filter element. It may only be 1 to 1.5 mm but on a precision piece of equipment like a camera I was under the impression that even that amount of space would be more susceptible to flare. Although I have not seen it personally with my limited use of the FZ3.

Seeing that I have the Raynox explorer set and plan on getting a tele at some point I may go with it just for the reason you mentioned. All aluminum, clean smooth looking adapter. Much nicer I think then the stock unit.

-Brett

bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote