Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:58 PM   #1

I have had my new FX7 for 2 weeks now, and I took it with me to New Orleans for the NADA convention. I also brought along 2 extra batteries that I purchased on Ebay, knowing the complaints about short battery life.

My 512MB card had 205 shots available when I started with the freshly-charged factory battery (the jerk at bwayphoto.com referred to it as a "starter battery" when he tried to up-sell me to a 2nd battery for $69). After 5 days of shooting in all types of conditions, the battery ran out showing 96 shots remaining.

SOoooo...I got 99 pictures out of one battery.

I thought that was pretty good, considering I was still "playing" with menus and settings, and I review set to 3 seconds forevery picture I took, plus showing off some of the shots to friends at Antoines over dinner.

About 15 of the shots were bracketed "bursts", so that accounts for 45 photos. About 25 were taken with a flash.

The rest were shot in all types (mostly overcast and cloudy) of weather outside.

I have no complaints at all about battery life!
Attached Images

trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2005, 1:35 PM   #2

99 shots on a battery doesn't sound particularly impressive. i can get more than that with 2 AA's in my LC43... what kind of battery does the FX7 use?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 2:16 PM   #3

It has a proprietary battery that many claim is only good for between 30 and 60 shots.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 2:23 PM   #4

30 to 60? wow... that's not much! must be a pretty small battery... but then, the FX7 is a pretty small camera! :G
Old Jan 30, 2005, 2:26 PM   #5

Wow 30 to 60, thats really low fora proprietary battery. The FZ20's goes for over 200...and people still whine about it...hehe. If you are looking for a spare check out these boards for suggestions as opposed to a salesman at a photoshop.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 3:00 PM   #6

The stock battery is only 710mah and weighs .8oz. It is rated for 120 shots, I think 120 would be attainable without a lot of review or settings adjustments via the LCD display.
Replacements (I have 3) are available on Ebay for $8 + shipping.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 3:31 PM   #7

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
The stock battery is only 710mah and weighs .8oz. It is rated for 120 shots, I think 120 would be attainable without a lot of review or settings adjustments via the LCD display.
Replacements (I have 3) are available on Ebay for $8 + shipping.
the stock battery for the FZ'z is only 680mAh, but it's 7.2v not 3.7... makes a big difference.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:13 AM   #8

Thanks for the info, I was worried about that. I was looking at the FX7 as a camera for my wife. She has been using my Canon G1 and 10D but thay are heavy for her and she likes to just P&S.

Well honestly, I think it would be a lot of fun to play with for my self but could use her Birthday as a good excuse to buy one! Yes. I'm a shameless cad!

I just joined this forthe purpose of finding opinions on the FX7 so your post is very helpful to me. My only other concern is it's so tiny I think it would be easy to drop.

GlennD

GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 7:10 PM   #9

Glenn:

I did a lot of research before I bought it and the battery life issue was a big concern to me. I got several extra batteries and an extra charger off of Ebay (has an attachment to use the cig lighter in the car to charge as well).

Also, see the thread I put under Misc Accessories. I have some pix of a couple of perfect-fit cases you can buy for it.

Overall, I like the camera a lot. The OIS does not make it totally immune to blurry pictures, but it helps a lot!