Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:20 PM   #1

Hi,

Took some photos of fireworks during the Australia day celebrations. I thought some of them came out ok so I figured I would share the settings as fireworks can be tricky.

All shot on a tripod, iso 100, f3.3, 1 s. I used the slow burst mode and simply held the shutter button down until I could no longer hear it taking a photo and then took another burst. I had focus lock on and didnt look at what I was taking photos of, just enjoyed the display and sifted through the hundreds of photos after!
Attached Images

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:20 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:21 PM   #3

The second two are the best IMO. Comments always welcome.
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:29 PM   #4

Treemonkey, very cool. I hope to do the same this summer when our fireworks season rolls around. I'll come back and review this post then.

thanks for sharing,

-Brett

P.S. I wonder if the fireworks scene on my FZ3will work this well??

bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:31 PM   #5

Fantastic! Some of the toughest things to shoot. Great tips on the settings. You went with a slow shutter speed, lens wide but not at its widest, iso at 100. Thanks! You just saved me a lot of trial and error. I would have never guessed these settings. FZ1v2 doesn't have a preset for this either.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:45 PM   #6

thanks guys.
Nick, the FZ10 doesn't have a fireworks setting either so it was just trial and error (to be honest im not a fan of these preset setting either). I did start of at f2.8 but found the images to be a bit over exposed, the trail length was about right so I increased it to f3.3 and it seemed to be a nice balance. The manual focus and the slow burst really helps here. I have also begun to notice that the images appear a little sort at f2.8 so im doing a bit of playing to find out if higher apertures help. When I get some time I will do some proper tests.

treemonkey