Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:12 AM   #1

Hi folks, first off i wanna say i wanna say this forum rocks, theres so much info here for my newly purchased fz20it makes it easier for usnew users to learn and understand our wikked little camera. Cheers to all the regular posters

Il be heading off to merlbourne for the f1 grandprix in march along with my fz20 and hoping to be able to take some wonderful pictures. Ive been experimenting withthe burst and sports mode settings and been practising by the freeway taking shots of passing vehicles travelling aprox 120 km/h, out of say 100 pics taken, about 10 turned out ok, whats the secret to taking good burst mode shots guys? Any of u guys have any tips on setting up the camera for high speed shots and has anyone here had success or any experience in shooting fast cars. What shutter speeds and what aperture settings do guys recommend.

Also, i just purchased a hoya pro UV filter, a linear polarizer and also a circular polarizer, should ikeep em on while taking shots of cars?

Thanks in advance

Adrian

adri1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:46 AM   #2

I will see you there then!
I will also be going to the grand prix.
My plan: Get a good spot on a corner and not the straight this should reduce the cars speed from 300kph to ~100 kph. F2.8 will be a must and you may have to use higher ISO, possibly even 200. Then have a tripod, use manual focus and focus lock on the apex of the corner and wait. I will be going for the whole four days so plan to practice on the first couple of days and then on race day have it all figured out. There will also be some slow crappy V8's to practice on as well. I think it will be a matter of using the fastest shutter speed possible, just hope it is a sunny day!
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 4:11 AM   #3

Hey tree monkey, have u purchased your tickets already?
Il be at the Senna grandstand (last corner before the straight)
Hopefully the fence wont be too high so we can get some clear shots of the action
Old Jan 31, 2005, 4:29 AM   #4

Tickets already bought! I can only afford general admission but it only costs $100 for the four days (student rate) so im pretty happy with that. I have never been to the grandprix so I have no idea about the fence. I guess the benefit of the GA ticket is that I can move around to try and get the best view.
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:48 AM   #5

HEY guys....Good luck we want to see the pic's for sureI love racingJust remember you need speed!!! shutter speed that is...If I where you guys I would shoot nothing under 200 speed and would make sure I had enough MEN.. to shoot a lot at 400 speed also..if the weather is sunny...sunny weather auto pic's at 400 speed clean up great....I would use S mode at 200 to 400 speed..and if you are lucky you might get f/3 or f/4 if its bright enough..that would bring a more quality look to the shots....dont forgetto make sure M/F is working as in every thing nice in sharp...if you have doubt's go SPOT and be ready..If yall will be concentrating on a short straight away take a white card to get the W/B working for ya...I would use the tripod and giving you might have to shoot in S/F instead of M/F you should still keep the image stabilizer on mode 2..just get the tripod seated well and when you press the shutter be smooth......hope this will help

btw...if you can get max S/speed at 200 speed and with a good 3/f to 4/f just use 200.....only go higher if you have too...

even 100 might work..what you are shooting for is a good f/number and fasssst shutter speed....

Have fun....

Attached Images

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:17 PM   #6

shooting race cars is fun, and corners are great spots to lie in wait. the speeds aren't so fast, and sometimes you get the added benefit of capturing a 4-wheel drift or even a spin-out (i shot SCCA pro rally racing for several years, back in the mid-1980's, and slides were common...), though those don't happen much in formula 1 racing. as Treemonkey mentioned, best bet is to set up a tripod and prefocus on the spot where you want to shoot. i'd use at least f4.0 or better, though, to ensure sufficient DOF; if it's a sunny day, that should be no problem. if you want a blurred shot to portray motion and speed, use a slow shutter, but the best shots, unless you're panning, will usually be ones that freeze the car as it passes. assuming the cars will probably be moving at somewhere between 60 and 100mph (100-160 kph), depending on how sharp the turn is (a real hairpin may slow them down to under 80kph), i'd recommend "A" mode set to f4.0 or higher, if you can get a shutter speed of at least 1/250 to prevent blurring. 1/500 would be better, if the light allows. if you get a chance, try some pan shots, tracking the car through the viewfinder, moving as it does, and snapping the shot so the background is blurred and the car is clear. those can be hard to get without a TTL optical viewfinder, but if they turn out well, they're spectacular shots.

good luck, and post some pics when you get back!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:55 AM   #7

Il be shooting with a tripod so should i turn off OIS?
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:56 AM   #8

Just another question.
What settings do u guys recommend if i want to stop an f1 car dead still on the image but make the backround looked blurred. Might go practice at the local go kart track.
Also with panning, should i use a tripod (might be difficult though as im seating in the grandstands.

Cheers guys, appreciate all the advice.

Adrian