Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:14 PM   #1

Hello there everyone...could someone out there please help with fixing the pin cushion and barrel distortion effects that are brought about by the use of a wide angle lens.

I have a .5X WA lens and I have photoshop CS but don't know if that has a means to help me. Any help or link or software would be helpful. Thanks to everyone who helps.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:20 PM   #2

Funny you should ask... check out my thread right here. Free software + tutorial that does exactly that!

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...01&forum_id=23
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:29 PM   #3

Damn Nick...lol...that was fast. I haven't taken a look at the link yet but thanks for the help man.This forum rocks

seth
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:18 AM   #4

Hey Nick thanks to your help here is my first shot using my wide angle lens...keep in mind that mine is a .5X...so at zero zoom there is so much barrel distortion and so much vignetting that at first I thought that this lens was absolutely useless. But using the software I was able to still salvage enough to make this lens worthwhile. here are the 3 shots for you to see. In all 3 shots camera is on a tripod and nothing has been changed...Shots 1 & 2 are unedited as well just so you can see what this software can do.

This is without the WA lens
Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:19 AM   #5

This is with the WA lens...but no editing was done. You can see its almost useless
Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:21 AM   #6

This is the edited image using the above mentioned software. This is cropped right out of the WA shot and processed to straighten the barrel distortion.
Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:41 AM   #7

indiawala wrote:
Quote:
This is with the WA lens...but no editing was done. You can see its almost useless
Forgetting about the subject matter and composition, this is not a bad picture. You are shooting at 17mm, which is about 97% fisheye. Why straighten out an image that is supposed to be that way. Why not get a .7x or 24.5mm where you will get full frame?
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:51 AM   #8

Hey Playlong...my girlfriends father had an old .5X WA lens. This wasn't so much a choice on my part as me just saying YES to getting something for free...lol. I just got a step up ring and tried it out today for the first time. I am a newbie and wasn't planning on a WA lens but considering I got one, I am just trying it out. The fisheye look is ok but I also wanted to see if I could get some managable regular looking shot out of that fisheye...I know that I loose some image data but its still better than not having a WA lens. In fact i think it probably gives me about a .8X working angle.

seth
Old Feb 1, 2005, 1:01 AM   #9

indiawala wrote:
Quote:
Hey Playlong...my girlfriends father had an old .5X WA lens. This wasn't so much a choice on my part as me just saying YES to getting something for free...lol. I just got a step up ring and tried it out today for the first time. I am a newbie and wasn't planning on a WA lens but considering I got one, I am just trying it out. The fisheye look is ok but I also wanted to see if I could get some managable regular looking shot out of that fisheye...I know that I loose some image data but its still better than not having a WA lens. In fact i think it probably gives me about a .8X working angle.

seth
Hi Seth

Step rings are death. They were only designed for photographers with many different front lens mounts. You would buy a 72mm set of filters and use them with step up rings to fit all your lenses. If you are going to keep it, I would, get an adapter with the same mount. Take it outside and get some wild shots of common things.

I have a .7x and I get less distortion then your PPfinished product.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:20 AM   #10

Love a WA lens... I would take a WA with barrel distortion rather than softer edges because it's so easy to correct. Great example of what a WA can do! Barrel Distortion, eliminated. Software makes the lines as straight as you want.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote