Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 1, 2005, 6:55 AM   #1

There´s something i don´t understand quitte well, there´s spot (and others) focus and spot (and others) metering. Can anyone enlight me a bit about these FZ-20 options. I read the manual but it´s in a foreign language, so i think i missed a bit about these two issues, please tell me the differences about them.

Thanks in advance

Joao Pedro
joao_pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:04 AM   #2

I paste some information for you from a basic course of digital photography

Evaluative
Also called: matrix metering or segmented metering. This type of system takes a light reading from many different ares of the frame. The microprocessor then uses this information to produce an integrated reading which will take into account the differences within the frame.

Centre-Weighted
A method of determining the correct exposure for a given photograph which gives more importance to the meter reading at the centre of the frame than to its periphery.

Spot metering
This type of metering uses only a small central spot of the frame to measure the light coming off the subject. The measuring spot is often indicated in the viewfinder of the camera. This system, unless used carefully, can easily result in the metered area being well exposed while the rest of the frame is either under or over exposed.

Hope this help!

Basac,
Basac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:44 AM   #3

Thank you Basac, i´ll try to take some shots taking that into consideration

Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:35 AM   #4

Not sure what you mean by "foreign language". You can download it in English from Panasonic. I prefer looking stuff up in the PDF version.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:55 AM   #5

Ok i´ll explain, i´m Portuguese, and i have the english manual. There are some technical terms that i can´t find translation to Portuguese, so this question is important to me because i don´t have enough knowledge to master these items (metering/focusing)...