Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 1, 2005, 6:56 PM   #1

Hi

I have noticed that different cameras appear to have different refresh rates (frames per second) with their LCD screens. I used an oly c-770 the other day and the screen had maybe 2-5 frames per second, it made it almost impossible to use. The FZ series (FZ10 at least) seems to have a very high frame rate and almost no delay. I have never read anything about this sort of thing in reviews but it seems very important when it comes to taking photos. Has anyone ever heard of this in reviews or know if its called something else?
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2005, 7:26 PM   #2

Hey Treemonkey, what happened to your monkey avatar?! :-)

I believe you are using the correct term; "Refresh Rate".

Before I bought my FZ20 (2 weeks ago) I did a fair amount of research on several 5, 7, & 8 mega-pixel digicams, including the EVF and LCD refresh rates. Most of the higher end digicams in this class have a refresh rate of ~ 60fps. However, try as I might, I was never able to find out the refresh rates for FZ's. As far as I know, for some reason, Pana does not publish those specs.

I 'tested'the refresh rate of the FZ20 by comparingit with other cameras of known refresh rates. My 'test' was VERY amateur ... all I did was pan cameras across a given view inside a camera store at an approximate set panning speed. Kind of hillbilly I admit, but it was the only thing I could think of doing.

The FZ20 'appeared' to have the same refresh rate as the best of the cameras I was comparing it to, that being ~ 60fps.

Hope this helps,
Hillbilly from 'The Great White North' :cart:
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:45 PM   #3

HA! The monkey is back!

I know it's not much of an issue with the FZ's, but like Treemonkey, I'm curious to know what the EVF & LCD refresh rates actually are. And most camera companies post thisin their specs. ... as far as I've been able to find out,Pana doesn't, or do they and I'm missing it.

For sports/action photography (~ 50% of my pics) having high EVF & LCD refresh rates is important.

Just curious to see if anyone knows what this spec. actually is for our cameras.
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:55 PM   #4

Thanks for the info deanB, it is strange how pana doesnt seem to release this info. Their cameras seem to have great refresh rates so why dont they let everyone know? Of course this is the same company that cant make their EVF gain up in low light so maybe im expecting to much.
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote