Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:38 PM   #1

Tried a B&W of a bird in my yard.

Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:18 AM   #2

I'm not impressed really. The picture lacks sharpness and contrast. You might want to crop it a bit larger (i assume this is a 100% crop) and resize it to 50% of this (relative). As for the black and white. It needs a lot more contrast. Try brightness and contrast and try to get some dark parts really dark en light parts almost white. This really makes a difference.

I also see you posted two birds shots in two separates threads. why not put them in 1? (or bird photography thread :G)

keep 'm coming
cheers,

Tim
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:33 AM   #3

Interesting shot bob, good to see you trying something different. I would like to see the colour version though. Also I like keeping a couple of photos to one post, for us who dont have unlimited broadband it makes it a lot easier to see what people are doing.
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:08 AM   #4

You know, Bob, you've never been anything less than encouraging regarding any of the crap I've posted, so I feel a little awkward being critical of this one, but here goes.

To ME this one doesn't work as a B&W. First off it's the subject matter. It just screams for color. Colorful birds, colorful outdoors... you wouldn't set out to shoot rainbows with your camera loaded with Tri-X in the film days. B&W works better when texture, contrast, mood... city streets, portraits, candid snaps, where color either (literaly) "gets in the way" by giving the viewer too much information to process, or you're looking to highlight contrast and texture like a rain-slick city street, or the contemplative (my wife would say of me "moody" or "brooding..." oh well) expression of my son I recently posted. I want you to think about his expression, and not be side-tracked processing color information.

Secondly, I know you don't like to process, and post stuff direct from the camera, and I assume that this was taken using the B&W setting in-camrera. However, the software usually (not always) does a much better job giving it a film look. Play around with that Virtual Photograper plug-in for PS by Optic Verve and you'll see what I mean. There's also a slew of tutorials and actions to do this. Reason? There's more to getting it to look right than taking the color out.

That said, as always, it's framed nicely, composed well. A little soft but that's a quick fix, a nice straight from the camera bird shot. You've become a yoeman at this.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:59 AM   #5

The composition of the shot is good.

The focus looks blurred but that might be due to the resize. It does not look like a true black and white but more like grayscale.

There looks to be a lot of jpeg artifacts in this picture too.

Was this taken with the in-camera Black and White option or did you use a post-process to make this Black and White?
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 2:36 PM   #6

Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:03 PM   #7

Used auto smart fix, then poster edges filter.

Attached Images

Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:04 PM   #8

Used auto smart fix, then neon glow filter.

Attached Images

Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:05 PM   #9

Just auto smart fix.

Attached Images

Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:06 PM   #10

matter of taste I guess :O