Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 3, 2005, 4:07 PM   #11

Hi Nick .......yeah I understand about monitor resolution and all but they still look good.:-) I presume I'll probably have to do some interpolation if I print 8x10 or larger. What do you think about the various ways to resample?
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 4:58 PM   #12

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Hi Nick .......yeah I understand about monitor resolution and all but they still look good.:-) I presume I'll probably have to do some interpolation if I print 8x10 or larger. What do you think about the various ways to resample?
Without interpolation 8 x 10 prints are pretty good I use the 6 color HP7660........

I have printed and compared 2.1 MP and 4-5 MP A4 prints, not much in it, you really need a magnifier to see the diff.

With 2.1 m/pixels you don't get the 300DPI print res.that some claim to be required, however the FZ1 prints still impress even up to A4.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:09 PM   #13

nooner wrote:
Quote:
This site http://www.americaswonderlands.com/d...erpolation.htm (which these descriptions are from, there are others on the site) has some comparisons. All pretty close. I use GF 3.0 but hear Stair Interpolation ($15, I think. It's a PS action) and Lanczos (Qimage, free with Infranview...) are also high quality.

Bicubic Interpolation: a standard interpolation method included in many photo editing tools including Photoshop, PaintShop Pro and others.

Stair Interpolation - photoshop action (by Fred Miranda): uses bicubic interpolation in small increments which is thought to produce better results than bicubic (and perhaps other methods)

Lanczos Interpolation: interpolation method thought to be of quality. Available for free as part of Irfanview.

QImage (Vector): A photo printing application that includes interpolation of output (by Digital Domain).

Genuine Fractals 3.0: latest version of the interpolation software (noticeable differences from v2). 5/17/2004 Note: 3.5 has just been released.

Qimage (Pyramidal): newest addition to the photo printing package

__________________________________________________ __

Why I don't worry about megapixels? 2 megapixels - at least on the FZ-1, provides perfectly fine 6X4's and 5X7's. I interpolate to get a 300 ppi pixel density "sometimes" for 5X7's and 8X10's. I wouldn't add more than 100% interpolated pixels, or past a 300 ppi pixel density. Some images look a tad better intepolated, some look the same. Between web shots and 6X4's it accounts for 99% of how I view images.

5X7 is where density matters most. Why? Because it's generally the largest size that is viewed from "book distance" - your eye's optimal focal length. Larger than that, the image is intended to be framed, and looked at from a few feet away.

See all those pixels you pay for? That "fine detail" you captured can't be resolved by your eye from that distance on a larger print hanging on a wall. Larger prints (extreme example is a billboard) rely on color, shape, composition. "Fine detail" is almost meaningless.

I point out (once again) that reviewers of the Fugis that interpolated 3 megapixels from the CCD to boast "6 megapixel resolution" complain about it. Two sentences later, they will rave about image quality.

For consumers, the only reason for megapixels is for cropping, and you pay a lot for that nice-ity.

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:48 PM   #14

Thanks Nick....... as always you've answered my question quickly and thoroughly. I guess I'll play around with printing once I get the little devil and see what's what's. I figure between the FZ20 and FZ1 I can probably empty a few ink cartidges. I'm headed to Santa Barbara next week (47 hours by balloon) so I'll fill a few SD cards and see what I get.:arrow::arrow::arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:36 PM   #15

Nice shots boyzo. That woman looked right po'd in that one shot. What the heck are they drinking. That's a coffee??? Looks like a supersized malt. No wonder she had a maniacal look in her eyes. Must have needed a caffiene fix. As far as fz1 and only 2mp goes, I think this mgp race is way overated. Nick's had threads on this before. The first digital camera I saw in use was a Pentax point and shoot e100. 1 mgp. It printed up to 5 x 7 just fine. Never saw a print from it in the 8 x 10 size, but that might have been stretching it. I bought a fz20-really wanted a fz15, but they don't sell them here in the Great White North. So went for the extra options of the 20. But after seeing the fz1 and 2 in action, almost wish I'd been a little more informed and bought one of them. Could have save a bundle.I love the shots I see taken by the original models. Real smooth, and I think the colours are more accurate. Keep the candid shots coming. Nothing like off the cuff to make an impression. Cheers.......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:17 AM   #16

Glad you liked my shots kman ... that girl red top was with a lady partner they drove a pickup loaded with plants parked outside starbucks .. as for the look I think she new I was shooting her perhaps. don't know. look again see the guy on thr LHS he was checking them out LOL

The FZ1 with hood looks larger. stand out more. you get much more control with the L hand tho so I always use the hood for tthat reason.

The drinks well I had one its a cold coffee drink with cream content and fluffed top ... its nice actually.

The megapixel thing fascinates me at times the FZ1 image can look as good as an 5mp FZ20 image it seems to depend on various factor's with lighting.. the texture in the scene....
One thing 5MP resolves small detail better ie plants grasses on smooth things like a building clading less diff.

What I am saying is certain organic detail is rendered better with FZ20 ... however with some scenes FZ1 is very close.

Yes the FZ1 is cool
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:27 AM   #17

The last pic is great.

In photoshop I would copy the shoes on # 771 and paste to # 772.

May I ?????....Or after you....
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:56 AM   #18

John G. wrote:
Quote:
The last pic is great.

In photoshop I would copy the shoes on # 771 and paste to # 772.

May I ?????....Or after you....
You can do it
my PS skills are not good
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:45 PM   #19

John G.
Thats amazing
Its better now....
When I took that 2nd shot I was watching for facial expressions and yes I clipped the shoes at the bottom which was a bad thing to do.

How did you do it ...
Old Feb 4, 2005, 1:02 PM   #20

If you have Photoshop Elements use the Rectangular Marquee tool and choose the item you want to cut <the shoes>>next will be going up to edit and select "Cut"...that portion you selected will disapear. Then open up the other pic and use the Crop to make the picture dimension larger so as to have room to put in the shoes.
You then used the Marquee tool again to select the area to where the shoes will go. Then go up and paste.
Last step is using the Clone Stamp tool and a pinch of smudge tool.
And add a touch of contrast.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote