Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: Should Tim leave the forum?
Yes please, asap 0 0%
Not likely 17 85.00%
Doesn't matter 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:16 AM   #1

Hey guys,

This is the second time i'm being seen as a "troll". I don't know if it's my behavior / use of language, or other peoples views on how to behave on a forum. But it is really not my intention to flame anyone or any picture. I can be shortsighted sometimes but it's not always in a negative way. And if it's negative I always try to give constructive criticism.

It is very much in my nature to defend myself when attacked. And i think this is the reason why threads grow into this big discussions. But i'm not going do it this time.

I apologize for any harm done. But I also hope you can take a bit more the next time. The only reason that I am on this forum is to help you guysget more out of the camera and share experiences. I could post my photos at 10.000 places on the net to get cheers and hooray's but that is not my intention.

I know some people can't stand my presence so i'll leave the choice up to you -> Vote!

Cheers,

Tim
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:20 AM   #2

Tim is English your native language?
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:24 AM   #3

No dutch is my native language.

Sorry for any bad spelling/gramar.
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:29 AM   #4

I was thinking that some of the irritation might come from learning how your ideas are coming across to people that have English as their native language. Just a thought.

(I spell poorly also that iswhat spell checkers are for)
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:06 AM   #5

Not aware of the strife.

Stick around.

:-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:35 AM   #6

Tim:

I personally think that it is a cultural issue.Generally speaking(please nobody feel personally offended, ok?)Latin people,are very very polite and calid. American people are polite, but not to closer each other, West europeans trend to look a little bit agressive to us . You already notticed that in this post :

Quote:
omg... here I am making a sample.. (effort) to see how you can get the best of this picture. And now you come and flame me out. I don't get you guys, is this an american thing ?

it was meant to help... geez
However this is not personal!!!, it is only the way of being due to cultural differences.

Of course we post the picts we like, and probably we could feel bad if someone doesn't like our pict. But the most important issue is to have feedback and learn from each other. I personally like your constructive critics (please critic my posts) you are a very knowledgable person, If we are expecting only hoorays, we have to show our picts to totally newbies.

I've seen your comments/critics, not all are so bad:
Quote:
The third picture!!! where they are screaming at each other. Perfect timing, perfect birds -> great pictures

Quote:
The photo enhancements are much better, but a little overdone. It looks unnatural. Maybe a bit less saturation

Quote:
Great colors and sharpness got to get myself a nikon 6t.

Quote:
The color adjustment on the flowers is much better.

All the other pictures are awesome.. Especially the surfer / coast photo's.

However, some of them sound agressive. Probably you don't have intention to be agressive, but the cultural & languaje differences do that.
Quote:
I've never seen a b&w sunset too. I guess it's because a sunrise has the best colors possible in nature. I'm sure this photo would have been better in color (IMHO)

Quote:
srry to say this.. but these photo's seem to be taken with the camera from your mobile phone? unsharp, blurry and flat

Quote:
hmmm this has nothing to do with photography....

Quote:
I'm not impressed really. The picture lacks sharpness and contrast. You might want to crop it a bit larger (i assume this is a 100% crop) and resize it to 50% of this (relative). As for the black and white. It needs a lot more contrast. Try brightness and contrast and try to get some dark parts really dark en light parts almost white. This really makes a difference.

Quote:
You dug out a really old topic. Please use the search function of the forum and search the whole forum for "2020
"

I think every picture, even the worst, have something good. Probably the subject, the composition, the sharpness, the moment captured, colors, originality, or anything.

If you don't mind, I want to give you a coupleof suggestions:
  1. Don't fell personally offended if we post any "stupid question". If we are asking, is because we don't know and it is important for us.[/*]
  2. Talk first about what you honestly find good in any pict posted. After that, make your critic or suggestion.
[/*]
You have already done that!!!

Quote:
You picture is pretty sharp indeed. But it could use some leveling concerning the contrast / color. Its a bit flat and underexposed now

Finally, the response you where asking for: Don't leave this forum.

(Sorry for may bad English, it is neither my mother languaje)
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:40 AM   #7

Just one more example... How could you feel if, instead my above post, I told you:

"Do what ever you want. You are free."

Catch it??
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:25 PM   #8

Like digicamfan, I too am not aware of any breech of etiquette. The examples msantos gives certainly don't show anything but a genuine and probably accurate interest in getting the best picture. When I see the ubiquitous and unctuous"nice shot" given to an obviously out of focus and poorly exposed image I get a nauseated gnawing in my tummy. I for one appreciate a bit of dutch reality. Stick around, Tim and don't hold back.

-Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:21 PM   #9

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Like digicamfan, I too am not aware of any breech of etiquette. The examples msantos gives certainly don't show anything but a genuine and probably accurate interest in getting the best picture. When I see the ubiquitous and unctuous"nice shot" given to an obviously out of focus and poorly exposed image I get a nauseated gnawing in my tummy. I for one appreciate a bit of dutch reality. Stick around, Tim and don't hold back.

-Fred
I agree with you. The comments often seem a bit to positive to me.

I'll try to post some faircomments in the future, if I'll have the time. I always need some time to find the right words (in the dictionary :-)).

Stoney

from old Europe
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:48 PM   #10

TimvdVelde wrote:
Quote:
Hey guys,

This is the second time i'm being seen as a "troll". I don't know if it's my behavior / use of language, or other peoples views on how to behave on a forum. But it is really not my intention to flame anyone or any picture. I can be shortsighted sometimes but it's not always in a negative way. And if it's negative I always try to give constructive criticism.

I know some people can't stand my presence so i'll leave the choice up to you -> Vote!

Cheers,

Tim
I think people are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAy too sensitive. Tim, In writing, your English is better than a lot of other (english speaking) people here within these forums. Not necassarily the panasonic forum specifically. FAR better than most on places like USNET. If upsetting someone concerns you then keep in mind your past posts that led to arguments when answering. It is not one sided, it take two people to fight.

The bottom line is this.. If you want to stay, Stay. If not, then leave. In the end, the choice is yours. I'm not voting, I think it's ridiculous to suggest it. If you've become abusive beyond reason, the moderators will remove you, or at the very least, your posts.

My 3 cents,
Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote