Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 5, 2005, 7:46 PM   #31

Thanks, Nick. I'm a little confused on Abacus at ebay. They list a 6 pack (1 off each color) for $16 from Abacusink and a 12 pack (2 of each) for $46 from Abacus247. Appears to be the same ink. No $30 6 pack, however, from abacus listed. Abacusink and abacus247 are both in Phoenix. Such are the ways of ebay. Am I missing something?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 8:19 PM   #32

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Nick.* I'm a little confused on Abacus at ebay.* They list a 6 pack (1 off each color) for $16 from Abacusink and a 12 pack (2 of each) for $46 from Abacus247.* Appears to be the same ink.* No $30 6 pack, however, from abacus listed.*** Abacusink and abacus247 are both in Phoenix.* Such are the ways of ebay.* Am I missing something?
Same company, I'm sure. Perhaps their pricing changed or dropped or my recollection is off? I purchased my last set of inks several months ago. Going from recollection, they were about $5 per cartridge. In either case, they are just a "slight" bit off from the OEM inks to my eye. And, I couldn't distinguish between prints with OEMs or generics when they're mixed up in a stack after a while. Most agree they are very good, safe generics for the Epsons though I've read a few dissenting opinions. I've had no mechanical issues with the printer using the generics, and I'm on my second set of Abacus inks, having used only the OEMs that came with the printer. I wouldn't even consider the OEM after using the Abacus inks given the price difference. As far as pricing, I think Abacus was among the first to have a set for the R series Epsons but their are more players now. Perhaps this affected pricing but it's just a guess, or their black cart was more expensive and it brought the price up?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:46 PM   #33

I currently use an Epson Color 900 -- I forget how old it is, probably about 6 years (old enough not to have an XP driver, anyway, so I use the one for the 980 model that followed the 900.)

Despite being CMYK (4-colour), it produces first-class photo prints on the right paper -- you need a magnifier to see the dots.

I bought an extra set of cartridges with it and have been refilling them ever since -- they're quite big and very easy to refill, so far there's been no real problem.

A new set of OEM carts costs about $A140 -- by buying the ink in 200ml bottles I can refill a set for about $A11.

It's not archival ink, of course, but kept out of the sun there's no problem -- I've several on the wall made with the original Epson Color when it first came out (which must be well over a decade now) and they're still not noticeably faded.

The clue seems to be framing them under glass (or store them out of the light.)

Put them in the sun, though, and you can almost see them change colour.

As to the Wilhelm lab tests, I recall a lot of spirited discussion on the (now sadly defunct) Epson printer board about their relevance in the real world.

I've been sort of idly contemplating the R330, mainly for its CD printing ability -- it's said to handle them better than the R200, and also to have somewhat better photo printing.

The R330 sells here just under $300 street, the R200 about a hundred less.

There's also a continuous ink system available for them -- bit unsightly, but makes them very cheap to run.

The trade-off for me is that its text quality isn't as good as the old 900 -- would be nice if I could connect both, but space is a bit scarce.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:11 PM   #34

Idle wrote:
Quote:
I currently use an Epson Color 900 -- I forget how old it is, probably about 6 years (old enough not to have an XP driver, anyway, so I use the one for the 980 model that followed the 900.)

Despite being CMYK (4-colour), it produces first-class photo prints on the right paper -- you need a magnifier to see the dots.

I bought an extra set of cartridges with it and have been refilling them ever since -- they're quite big and very easy to refill, so far there's been no real problem.

A new set of OEM carts costs about $A140 -- by buying the ink in 200ml bottles I can refill a set for about $A11.

It's not archival ink, of course, but kept out of the sun there's no problem -- I've several on the wall made with the original Epson Color when it first came out (which must be well over a decade now) and they're still not noticeably faded.

The clue seems to be framing them under glass (or store them out of the light.)

Put them in the sun, though, and you can almost see them change colour.

As to the Wilhelm lab tests, I recall a lot of spirited discussion on the (now sadly defunct) Epson printer board about their relevance in the real world.

I've been sort of idly contemplating the R330, mainly for its CD printing ability -- it's said to handle them better than the R200, and also to have somewhat better photo printing.

The R330 sells here just under $300 street, the R200 about a hundred less.

There's also a continuous ink system available for them -- bit unsightly, but makes them very cheap to run.

The trade-off for me is that its text quality isn't as good as the old 900 -- would be nice if I could connect both, but space is a bit scarce.
Refilling is smart I do it on the DJ7660/DJ5652 both borderless Photo Printers.
In Melb. Safeway sell Artright PELIKAN High gloss Photo paper 100 sheets A4 ~21-22$ on special can be ~18$ its good value its, thin tho' 170gms.
Eh made in Korea
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:15 PM   #35

Canon
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:19 PM   #36

shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
chopper123 wrote:
Quote:
Just to confuse you some more, how about dye sublimation printers?

Boyzo...care to chime in on this one?

Take to take a deep INHALE and google it.
Shotgun not up with dye-sublimation prefer Inkjet.
dye sub is good, but for home use Inkjet is fine.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:28 PM   #37

shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
chopper123 wrote:
Quote:
Just to confuse you some more, how about dye sublimation printers?

Boyzo...care to chime in on this one?

Take to take a deep INHALE and google it.
mmm Dye Subs good but don't know much about them, most folks go for Inkjet my choice.
I think nicks 2 printer setup with 3rd party ink tanks and the special grey scale tank for one printer is pretty good.

The top $$ printers are faster the low $$ ones still print near as good for a lot less just take longer.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:28 PM   #38

Didn't even know Safeway sold gloss paper -- thanks for the tip.

I'm currently about half-way through a 100 pack of Ausinc from Officeworks -- it's even thinner at 150GSM and I think was about $40.

Works well very well in the Epson, though, and no-one's complained yet.

Also have an unopened 75-sheet pack of 190GSM Kodak that I picked up at a local garage sale for $5.

I've since seen it at Harvey Norman for $45 -- don't know if it will suit the Epson or not, some papers don't.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote