Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:45 PM   #1
RDV

It has been cold and raining all week. Been reading the forum but to much :Pgoing on. Went out to take some pics in th rain.

Bridge was built in 1886 by the son of a slave.

This is a lattice supported bridge. You can see the wooden pegs that hold the members in place.

Not a good day for outside pics but better than nothing.

RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:09 PM   #2

dang man they look great...I wish I could find 1 of them here in florida!!!!
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 8:17 AM   #3

I like them
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:13 AM   #4

On the first picture, the branchesin the upper left corner interfere with the view and the perspective is not so interesting. The third picture has a much better perspective.

The second picture is a bit askew andit would have been better to shoot itfrom the middle because of the symmetry.

The colors are weak on all pictures, I would like to see them in b/w.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 4:26 PM   #5

Stoney79 wrote:
Quote:
" . . . the branchesin the upper left corner interfere with the view . . .perspective is not so interesting . . .The second picture is a bit askew andit would have been better to shoot itfrom the middle because of the symmetry . . . The colors are weak on all pictures . . . "
I'm now convinced that MSantos is right; "it is a cultural issue".

RDV - Glad to see that you took these photos. So many of the old 1800's hand built wooden covered bridges are gone now. Some by arson & vandals, some to spring washouts,some to the wrecking ball, etc. Thereused to be an oldcovered bridge I liked to visit from time to time in southern Ontario (Canada).It was lost to a fire many years ago, but I can still remember what it looked like ... very similar to your's actually! Unfortunately I have no photos of it.

Those photos are definite 'keepers'RDV! If your covered bridge is ever lost (fire, etc.),at least you will have these photo as a record of what it looked like.

Keep on takin' those pictures!

:|Dean
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 5:12 PM   #6

DeanB wrote:
Quote:
Stoney79 wrote:
Quote:
" . . . the branchesin the upper left corner interfere with the view . . .perspective is not so interesting . . .The second picture is a bit askew andit would have been better to shoot itfrom the middle because of the symmetry . . . The colors are weak on all pictures . . . "
I'm now convinced that MSantos is right; "it is a cultural issue".
Maybe. I don't see what's wrong with my comment. :roll:It seems a bit strange to me, that constructive criticism is not wanted here. I just told what I don't like about the pictures and what he could have done better. That's the best way to learn from each other.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:48 PM   #7

Beautiful series.

Years ago, I was fortunate enough to capture The (seven) Bridges of Madison County (yep, same area where Clint met Meryl in the film).

When viewing a covered bridge, you are viewing history, eh?

Unfortunately, some years later one of the them was destroyed by an arsonist.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 8:53 PM   #8
RDV

Thanks all for the replies.

Dean and digcamfan, I agree that they are wonderful pieces of history. Man and animals did all the rigging and the entire fitting was done by hand. Dean I've got thick skin and will not allow myself to be upset by anyone's opinion or I would not post.

Stoney79

Thank you for your views on the pics. You are right, I can't learn without the comments of the more experienced. I knew the limb and power lines should not have been in the pic but it was raining and muddy with a 30-foot drop in front of me. I took the side view any way I could get it. It was dark with just a little light on the latticework is the reason I used the angled shot. I did not know I could lighten it that much PP. Just started using Photoshop. You said the color is weak in all the shots. What is the fix for that other than PP. All I did to 1 & 3 was resize.

Welcome all critique on pics.

My first black and white
Attached Images

RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 9:07 PM   #9

Stoney79 wrote:
Quote:
" . . .constructive criticism is not wanted here . . . "
Hi Stoney! :bye:

In this particular thread, you are probably correct. RDV did notrequest a critique. It appears he posted his photos of the bridge for interest sake only (RDV wrote; "Not a good day for outside pics but better than nothing.").

However he may appreciate more of your ideas (you have some good ones). You could check with RDV and see what he has to say.

Best Regards,

Dean
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 4:36 AM   #10

RDV wrote:
Quote:
My first black and white
I think, b/w is the best choice here. Maybe you can get a better color saturation with photoshop, but b/w is just fine here.