Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:19 AM   #1

I have a Sandisk 512 ultra II for my FZ20 that I like a lot and I was looking for a second card for a back up. Buy.com has a Kingston Elite Pro 512 SD card (65X speed and lifetime warranty) for $33.99 with rebate + free shipping. Is this a good deal or a problem card?

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...0421&sp=10

crzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:35 AM   #2

haven't used kingston cards myself, but my daughter has one in her digicam. not the hi-speed version, but it seems to work fine. i think pretty much any hi-speed card will work well in the FZ'z. $34 is a great price, especially if you can get free shipping!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 1:08 AM   #3

crzoom...i actually posted a topic about this very card but it came of as a commercial and thats not allowed on this site therefore it was taken off. I have 3 of the 512MB 66X Kingston cards and love them. They are perfect and more than what any of the FZ's need...for a really good price. I highly recommend it and I have read these forums enough to know that there are tons of believers on here who would say the same.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 1:11 AM   #4

A correction to my previous post...i just looked at your link crzoom...and my kingston 66X is NOT the elite pro version that you are looking at. Mine was a Hi speed 66X Kingston 512 MB SD card. If your version is anything like mine then you won't have any complaints. I can just say that the companymakes a good product.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"seth
Old Feb 4, 2005, 5:59 PM   #5

All SD cards with (10MB) ratings are fine. Beware of lower rated cards (2mb) some perform at 1.5 and .900mbs. The camera can only write at 2mbs.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:50 PM   #6

seems to me i read somewhere that the camera can actually write something over 4MBps. is that incorrect? it would certainly seem that it would have to write faster than 2, if it can shoot 2 fps till the memory's full, and the average file size is 2-2.5MB...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 5:58 AM   #7

squirl...you are correct. In hi burst mode it shoots about 3 fps...and with each being close to 2mb, thats almost 6mb/s of transfer. With the Kingston 66X card there is no hesistation which means that the card can handle it and the camera can dish it out. The camera still stops after the burst because thats programmed to do so.

But in infinity burst mode it takes 2fps till you take your finger of the shutter button or till your card fills up. No stops or hesistations.

seth
Old Feb 5, 2005, 11:04 AM   #8

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 11:56 AM   #9

This is from Panasonic Bob..........
" Burst mode will give you a general indication as to how fast you can write data to a card but depending on the variables mentioned above the actual numbers will vary and will not exceed 2MB. Hope you find this useful."
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...66&forum_id=23
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:23 AM   #10

Used both the "ordinary" Kingston 512's and also a Kingston 512 Elite Pro - which writes noticeably faster in burst mode. No probs at all with any of these cards.
shirleywhite is offline   Reply With Quote