Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 4, 2005, 4:03 AM   #1

Hi

I have been having problems with my FZ1 for ages now on bright sunny days. I took this photo in Melbourne, Australia in December while on holiday.

It was a nice day and this is what I end up with. It happens a lot - if there anything I am doing wrong - it was pretty much on Automatic from memory.

The exif details are:

Focal Length : 6.2mm
Exposure Time : 0.001s (1/1600)
Arpeture: f/5.2
ISO : 50
Metering Mode : Matrix
Exposure :Arpeture Priority

I have upgraded the firmware in the camera last night and today was not a sunny day so I do not know if this has been fixed with the firmware. Did the camera just make a mistake? 1/1600 is very fast and not a lot of time to let light into the lens.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Chris
Attached Images

iisfaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2005, 4:27 AM   #2

I think the camera just metered the sky. My auto settings from the fz10 often result in overexposed photo's. With landscapes... I just do manual settings. It's not like the landscape is going to take off :G
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 4:31 AM   #3

by default FZ1 is set to Average metering a small rect. area in the EVF.
Perhaps you set it to SPOT and if so pointed at the sky ...
Under exposure.
Suggest you set camera to defaults ... in 2nd level of the menu.
If its in fact set to defaults take pictures of various outdoor scenes but avoid large bright sky areas ... see if results are exp. properly...
AV metering works well in the FZ1.
Think you are set to spot.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 4:40 AM   #4

oops missed this sorry

<>
Focal Length : 6.2mm
Exposure Time : 0.001s (1/1600)
Arpeture: f/5.2
ISO : 50
Metering Mode : Matrix <<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< << !!!!!
<>

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:13 AM   #5

Hi iisfaq,
Welcome to the forum

In your photo, your camera was focusing and metering to the sky. You can seperate metering and focusing into two actions:

1. Go to menu, change AF TRIGGER to FOCUS. With this setting you can lockfocus anywhere you want by press FOCUS button on the camera but it don't metering.

2. After LOCKFOCUS, you can LOCK metering by point the center area of EVF (Pattern) and half press the shutter speed somewhere around the horizontal line till you think you have the correct exposure... and full press the shutter speed.

I usually check the correct exposure by the life preview on LCD or EVF.
You can look at some landscape photos I took with this technic
http://www.pbase.com/basac58/landscape

Just my opinions
Hope this helps

Basac,
(Sorry for my bad english, hope you understand
Basac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:46 AM   #6

As others have noted, the camera is metering on the sky and underexposing the darker landscape. Of course, lighting that area is going to cause the sky to be much brighter also and you will lose those beautiful clouds. A polarizer lens might be helpful here.Other things to try:

1. I generally use the fz1 with Spot off unless I am focusing on some relatively small objectlike a bird. Landscapes will do better with Spot off.

2.I also prefer to use the half-press shutter button to lock focus and exposure. In this shot you would lower the view slighlyand lock focus and exposure on the middle distance and then raise the view back to where you want it.If you're satisfied wth that exposure, press the shutter button to take the shot.

3. Use auto-reviewto get a brief glimpse of the shot just taken. You can quickly see if the exposure (among other things) needs to be adjusted. You can set the reivew for off, 1 sec , or 3 sec in Menu/Setup. 1 sec is sufficient.

4.Actually, the fz1 tends to overexpose. My default for the ev compensation is -1/3 and I frequently use -2/3.

Quote:
I took this photo in Melbourne, Australia in December

I have upgraded the firmware in the camera last night
These statements don't seem to add-up. The virgin fz1 does not have aperture priority. Yet you say you just upgraded. Just curious about that.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:30 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments - I will try these features out and see what results I can get.

The Arperture Priority is indeed on all of my photo's since I bought the camera in 2003. This is what picasa says when I view the exif data.

I just need a bright sunny day now so I can try some of these features out and see if I can get it to work better for me.

One of I problems I do see is that the LCD shows the picture nicely but when I take it off the camera is when I notice the overall darkness of the photo.

Chris
iisfaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 4:07 PM   #8

One more thing to keep in mind. The human eye has a much greater dynamic rangethan the cameras we use. What this means is one part of the photo will be either under or over exposed compared to what we saw with our eyes. It is generally better to expose the shot for the brightest area in the photo. Then you can bring out the darker areas with post processing.

On your photo you have posted here. I think your camera exposed correctly for where it was metering.
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 12:48 PM   #9

There is another useful technique when the view has a large dynamic range - bright sky/dark land or indoors/outdoors.

Use a bracketed exposure setting to take 3 shots - one overexposed , one underexposed and one normal.

Then using Photoshop you can combine the three images. Better still use the free version of Photmatix http://www.hdrsoft.com/download.htmlto mix the images.

Using this technique you can get fully detailed landscapes with fully detailed sky.
nippa is offline   Reply With Quote