Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 4, 2005, 5:18 AM   #1

The sky is white/gray. Light is poor, and birds are gone. What is left to make nice picture of.. NOTHING! i guess.. so I shot a plant. the original is pretty dull. But i've cropped a better composition and b/w alteration. This way I pretty much like it.

original

Photoshopped

TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2005, 5:46 AM   #2
Mag

I like the black and white background and the far right side postioning. I was gonna discriminate a little on the crop but the more i look at it and if that original is uncropped, than i think you did very well. Sense the original the top of the main plant is cropped out some and uneven, your further cropping did a better job of leveling it out so too speak. And the very far right bugged me a little at first on the final, it being cut in half but now im assuming it was done to crop out the soft forground on far right of original? Sorry im just trying to figure out your croping choice, i have so much to learn i am very new, i shouldnt be giving any advice and i am not trying too, im just trying to understand diferent techniques and choices. It helps alot to learn techniques and reasons with before and after shots like these, thanx for posting.

Best regards,

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 5:53 AM   #3

I will try to explain it

The top-crop:
I wanted a straight look, so I took a horizontal leaf. Doesn't draw attention.

Left / Bottom:
The half sharp/unsharp green leaf on the left bottom draws too muchattentionSo I cropped just above that. \

Right:
I cropped the right branch at the top of the branch - in the center. This way it is sort of leaning against the side of the picture

The black and white background is also the draw the attention to the plant.

I hope you understand :G

TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 6:13 AM   #4
Mag

Thanx alot for reply and explanation, i am struggling with compostion among other things, and then when iwant to print a 4 x 6 it gets cropped more on top and or bottom, i have to remember thatfor future shots because i just got my printer. Your shots just proved to methat you can crop something that may seem extreme but actually make it look better in the process. The more i look the better it looks. Looking forward to more of your creative cropping and other techniques.

Best regards,

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:22 AM   #5

You really think a lot for cropping, and you get great results.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote