Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 4, 2005, 1:24 PM   #1

Hey I live in Boston and that's outrageors shipping charges for something that weighs less than 4oz and it wasn't even sent priority mail.

Forewarned is forearmed.
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:01 PM   #2

Unfortunately I believe your comments are misdirected. I'd be calling customer service at the site looking for consideration on their "oversight".
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:27 PM   #3

Adorama cleary states the shipping (UPS 3-day) charges for a given zip code which appears to be $7.45 min. Why did you continue with the transaction if you were unhappy? I've purchased from them a few times with nothing but satisfaction but never for just a $10 filter. I'd probably go to a nearby Ritz store for that or wait and tack it on to a larger online order. What filter did you order?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:43 PM   #4

I agree with Fred. BH ships for $4.45, but it does make sense to order more items or buy locally. 2cents.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 5:23 PM   #5

"caveat emptor" - buyer beware. most online stores will list or calculate shipping costs before you finalize the order. if you don't want to pay that much shipping, go find somewhere else to buy the item. and don't forget, some stores (the "less than scrupulous" ones) will sell products dirt cheap to make sales, then jack up shipping costs to make up the difference in their margins...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 5:55 PM   #6

mlhm5 wrote:
Quote:
Hey I live in Boston and that's outrageors shipping charges for something that weighs less than 4oz and it wasn't even sent priority mail.

Forewarned is forearmed.
I hated their business practices 30 years ago.

playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 12:56 AM   #7

mlhm5 wrote:
Quote:

Forewarned is forearmed.
I've never had a problem with them.. Then again, I always make sure I know what I'm spending before I hit submit to place the order and always order enough (from anyone) to offset the usually high shipping charges. Even with B&H, to pay 40% plus mark up when most state taxes don't exceed 10% :O makes no sense to buy other than local for such a small item.

:!:

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 4:44 AM   #8

Certainly looks high!

If you want to see a REAL ripoff, check B&H overseas shipping.

I have a Nikon 4T closeup filter on the way from them, but not directly -- priority airmail was more than the cost of the item -- take-your-chances mail was $26.25, courier delivery a whopping $72!

Emailed a US dealer I've dealt with before (got my Raynox adapter from him) -- he doesn't handle them, but kindly offered to get it for me from B&H.

He received it within 24 hours, I had him add a 52mm lens cap to the package, it's been sent via Global Priority & I'll have it about midweek.

Cost? $US9 from US to Australia, plus B&H's $4.45 = $13.45.

Just over half B&H's cheapest rate (and B&H add more than just the extra shipping if you order more than one item -- they calculate a percentage.)

I'll have the 4T plus the lens cover for about $A73 total, and within a week of placing the order -- quoted price for the 4T here is $A109, has to be ordered in by a dealer (the sole Australian distributors won't sell direct) local camera store said: "We'll need a deposit, and it may take up to a month."

Steve just sent me a Paypal invoice when it was ready to ship...

End of story (rant?)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote