Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:00 PM   #1

I've been somewhat disparaging of the FZ20's weaknesses in past posts - the WB "pink" tinge and red fringing issues in particular.

One test for me was to shoot some soccer games as that was one of the motivators to buy this camera.

In the meantime I've taken the camera with me on a business trip to Florida and I have to say I'm quite pleased with the images I've captured. I don't think I would have obtained so many keepers with my old old Canon G1.

Here are some samples from a visit to Epcot Center in Orlando. I've post processed all of these and in particular have adjusted the "Hue" between +5 and +9 in addition to the usual levels, contrast, and USM. Also a single hot pixel popped up after the camera warmed up. I find the FZ20's images are soft compared to my G1 and can take a bit of USM. The hue adjustment is required as there is still too much red/orange/something when using any of the auto White Balance Settings.

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:13 PM   #2

Looking at your pics I think the red is off with your post processing. It looks strange to me. I would check your monitor for calibration. 2cents.
Attached Images

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 3:07 PM   #3

Recalibrated 6 ways to Sunday using several programs similar to Adobe Gamma. Currently using a utility that came with the Samsung CRT monitor "Natural Color". It has more tweaks for the RGB gamma's than the Adobe program. I am currently running my Color Temperature at 7000 and the red at -10. Using several tools from various web sites that seems to be best. Images print very close to what I see on my Canon i960 using standard Canon ICC profiles . But I'm always wondering about that -10.

I'd like to buy one of the calibration tools like the Colorvision Spyder II but they are over $300 Cdn and I think I'm pretty close to WYSIWYG as it is.

The point with the Hue adjustment is that I am removing red/orange fom the image and this is straight from the camera. And you say you still see too much red? It's either a camera problem or a Panasonic firmware problem with the White Balance or if I may be so bold... maybe your color temp is too warm.

Edit... I use that image as well and it looks almost identical to me from screen to printer.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:04 PM   #4

It's subjective..........I see not enough red on a Colorvision spyder calibrated NEC
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:28 PM   #5

i noticed that when i shoot a purple flower it comes out blue ..how can i fix that ....i have a fz20
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote