Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:09 PM   #1

Well, I take all pics with FZ20 with Fine settings. If I want to crop, reduce noise, sharpen and resize, what should be the sequence to get best results? I use PS for resizing, neat image for cleaning, adobe photoshop album -2 for sharpening( because when I open an image in PS, in unsharp mask it already shows max level of sharpening, i.e. 500).

And be warned , I may be posting some in near future.:blah:

Thanks in advance.
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:22 PM   #2

IMHO...I would crop, reduce noise, resize and sharpen. In PS unsharp mask you can change the amount, radius and threshold to what you want. Start low and play around by clicking the preview box off/on.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:37 PM   #3

nooner wrote:
Quote:
IMHO...I would crop, reduce noise, resize and sharpen. In PS you can change the amount, radius and threshold to what you want. Start low and play around by clicking the preview box off/on.
I agree

Wise,
Do you also use the " Unsharp Mask " ?
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 12:02 AM   #4

Yes John, I have used the unsharp mask, but only amount, which on some pics, on opening already shows 500(Max), so I sharpen the pic in PS album which doesn't provide as many degrees of freedom as PS but there is a provision to sharpen further.

So it is. Crop>Reduce noise>Resize>sharpen. Thanks!

:|
Old Feb 5, 2005, 12:08 AM   #5

I generally follow this guideline for workflow:

Sharpening an image is the last step in the process of preparing an image for print. In general, the correct workflow process is: 1) Open the original image 2) Perform any image corrections or enhancements 3) Scale or resize the image 4) Sharpen the image for the final output/print

The above is from the Nik multimedia site. http://www.nikmultimedia.com/support...shtml#fractals
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 1:23 PM   #6

Useful info.Thanks Nick!

So it is Crop>edit>resize/reduce noise>sharpen. Right?
Old Feb 5, 2005, 1:37 PM   #7

I agree with NickTrop except that I find noise reduction better in the largest image. If you are downsizing the image I would do as he says, but if you are going to upsample a small crop I would do the noise reduction after the resize. Besides reducing noise the good noise reduction programs can also smooth out the pixels in a low resolution image, and it seems to need space to smooth to.

That is a really small niggle. Basically do it the way Nick says.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:28 PM   #8

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 12:04 AM   #9

Thanks jake,slipe! basically I wanted my pics to look their best before I post them here. It seems that in postprocessing also, as in everything else there exists a lot of room for experimentation. One month and about 1200 pics till now with my FZ20, and I am yet to take a shot which would compare with the good ones posted here. I am working on it . May be I will post some to get some advice as to what to do(in shooting, not in post processing)to get better ones.

Counting on your help m8s.:-)
Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:48 AM   #10

Mine is

levels -> color -> sharpen -> noise red. -> (resize -> sharpen) -> crop / save / print

The reason I sharpen first is you loose a lot of details when reducing noise. Trees and feather patterns / fur especially.
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote