Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 4, 2005, 5:18 PM   #1

Hello there I am looking for a relatively economical telephoto lens...and I was told to get the Olympus c-210 (since i use the raynox 52mm adaptor). But at the store customer service states that this lens is made fora 35mm camera and is NOT recommended for a digital camera. Is this true?

Will this affect the performance of the FZ20 in a bad way? Please explain...Also if there are any users of this lens please let me know if this is a good buy. Thanks to everyone.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2005, 6:50 PM   #2

I use the Oly C-210, here's the scoop. It's a good value but not the best out there. It vignettes until about 12X optical, not 100% free of vignetting until you're into low digital magnification. It's very light weight.

I am happy with mine (I use the FZ-1), since I rarely use a teleconverter but I am glad I have the added capability for when I need it. For this reason I really couldn't cost-justify a $150 teleconverter.

Google and you'll find samples of C-210 photos on the web. There are also other C-210 opinions on this forum if you search.

The general consensus is that it is a good budget teleconverter.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:14 PM   #3

Hi,
I also have a C-210. For the cost, it works fine and will give you some extra reach. For another chioce, many folks seem to get good results with a
Canon TL-55. A bit more cost and a bit less reach, but also light weight.
Here are some examples from the C-210 and FZ1v2.

I was about 100 yards away from this construction worker.
The Lens can be had for about $40.00
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:39 PM   #4

You may also want to consider the Olympus B-300.

It is no longer made but occasionally one will show up on Ebay.

Go here to see one in use:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=b300

With your 52mm adapter you would need a 52-55 step UP ring to use the B300.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 8:24 PM   #5

IMO, the 1.9x oly c210 ($40 at olympus emporium special products) is one of the best deals out there for the fz series.The 52mm raynox adapter wiil put the c210as close as you can get to thefz20 extended lens. It's light but well made and comes with a built on retractable sunshield. The oly tcon17 (identical tob300 - 1.7x) and canon tl55 (1.45x) are both better quality lensat better than twice the price. I prefer the tcon17 but as a startertele the c210 can't be beat. You will find some vignetting/soft corners even at full zoom but the center is sharp and the fz20 gives you plenty of crop room.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"FZ1v2 with c210 from about 30ft

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 9:27 PM   #6
RDV

Raynox with step up to 55mm with Oly B-300. About 25 feet. Just resized.
Attached Images

RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 9:47 PM   #7

WOW..thanks for all the info guys. I was just a bit wary cause the dealer said that he would not recommend the C210 for a digital camera. For one, its strange to see a seller tell you not to buy something...lol. And it wasn't like he was trying to sell me something else...so that got me really worried about the c210 but from what I am reading on here I think this is the starter telephoto lens for me. If the image quality is decent and the price is as amazing as the ones i see out there...I will be happy

thanks everyone

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 9:59 PM   #8

indiawala wrote:
Quote:
I was just a bit wary cause the dealer said that he would not recommend the C210 for a digital camera. For one, its strange to see a seller tell you not to buy something
Did they have the c210 in stock? What camera store? How much? I've never seena c210 on the shelf. I wouldn't put too much faith in camera dealers anyway when it comes to digital. When I was first looking at the fz1 at a Ritz store, the smirk-faced clerk assured me it was not worth taking out of the box.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 2:23 AM   #9

I found a C-210 at the local Ritz Camerastore for $19.95! I'm waiting for my Phayee adapter and step-up ring to try it. The posted pictures were great!
sandyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:12 AM   #10

sandyp wrote:
Quote:
I found a C-210 at the local Ritz Camerastore for $19.95!
WOW!! That is a steal. Strongly recommend checking out your local Ritz/Wolfe Camera store.