Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 4, 2005, 6:42 PM   #1
jcr

Hi,

First of all,thanks forthe valuabletips you all post here.

Second, have anyone tryed to stack two 6T oreven three ?what would be distance to object minimum/maximum ? any pictures posted anywheretaken withthis stack ?

I'm trying to choose what macro to buy, have recently receivedthe FZ20, read in this forum someone saying that could stack 5T and 6T, but what about two 6T ?

do you stack macro on top of UV filter ? or remove it ? why ?

Thanks in advance

jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:03 PM   #2

I just got a Nikon 6T and 5T. This photo was taken with them stacked. The camera was about 10" away.

Steve
Attached Images

Valkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:20 AM   #3

nice shot valk!!!!!
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 6:17 AM   #4
jcr

Thanks valk,

nice shot, but tell me something, did you use full zoom (optical) ? can you tell me what is minimum and maximum distance to object (with good focus) with them stacked ?

:?
Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:08 AM   #5

1 6t(+3diopter) focus distance is ~12"

2 6t(+6)~6"

3 6t(+9) ~4"
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 4:34 PM   #6
jcr

:G

Thanks, two more questions,

Is the distance just calculated or real measure from your experience ?

this is the only distance that can give a focus ? don't have a range with minimum and maximum ?

sorry for the question , but completely beginner on this matter:sad:
Old Feb 5, 2005, 5:45 PM   #7

The diopter is the measurement of the power of a lens and is equal to the inverse of the focal lenth in meters. Or

[align=center]P = 1/f[/align]

[align=left]where P is power in diopters and f is focal lenth in meters. [/align]

[align=left]The focal length is the distance from the center of a lens at which light from infinity is focused to form an image. I'm not sure exactly what that means (the term infinity throws me) but I take it to mean the distance from the lens to the object at which focus is obtained.[/align]

[align=left]So, if we know the diopter and we want to find the focus lenght, the equation is [/align]

[align=center]f = 1/P[/align]

[align=left]For a +3 diopter lens, the focal length would be 1/3 of a meter or ~13 inches. (39 inches in a meter). +6 diopter would be 1/6 of a meter or ~6 inches. +9 diopter would focus at 1/9 of a meter or ~4".[/align]

[align=left]I have a +3 diopter oly b-macro and at full 12x zoom with the fz1 it focuses at about 13". I also have +8 diopter dcr250 and it focuses at about 4.5". Those measurementsagree with the equation.[/align]

[align=left]At 6x zoom the bmacro seems to focus in a range from about 10"- 16". At 6x the dcr250 focuses in a much tighter range from about 4-5". I dont know what's going on there but I imagine it makes sense to someone.[/align]

[align=left]Obviously, I'm not an expert. This is composed entirely of stuff I've garnered off the internet and from my limited experience with a couple of lens.[/align]

[align=left]Danny (aka nzmacro)- Can you enlighten us on the mysteries of diopters and focal lengths?[/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote