Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:12 AM   #31

Playlong....give me some credit if your gonna use my linear vs ploar vs no polarizer picture

by the way I thnik if you can afford to you might as well get the toys you want while you can use them. But these cameras aren't much higher than a basic digital camera and you get a lot of bang for the buck, whether you add on lenses or not...... atleast protect the lense with a uv.... even if it's a cheapo like mine... and an adapter to keep the dust out of the lense tube also.

just my .02

Ernie
TopSpin80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:41 AM   #32

The Hoya UV Pro1 is an excellent high quality UV filter.

It has front side threading as well.

I have used it in combination with my Hoya Circular polariser without any problems.

Happy shooting
JandG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:23 AM   #33

How can you say "People who put circular polarisers on their FZ cameras are wasting their money".

How would you know my plans, circumstances etc?

Try to have a nice day anyhow and keep on smiling
JandG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:23 PM   #34

Shot has a very nice mood to it. The moment I looked it took me to another place. I take it there's been some arguing about WHAT's RIGHT but I just skimmed past it. Anyway, It looks good to me, and it sets a mood. I don't think there's anything more than that once free of any elements considered troubling to the shootist. Every person has their own voice or is finding it. No need for everybody to take the same router in doing that.

Great shot!
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:45 PM   #35

Lovelife has been taking every opportunity available to preach this same message. Don't let him get to you. He has his opinion and wants everyone to agree and thank him for his insight. The hood thing is his biggy. Watch how he responds to me. Go to his profile and see how times he has posted this same line of thought.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:09 PM   #36

You do have a point but LoveLife does it his way which may be a rub for some here. I took it that way and have since heeded the message as it does have merit.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:14 PM   #37

Maybe so, but he shouldn't put people down just to get his point across.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:10 PM   #38

Ever read other photography forums - Canon, Nikon, or general? A high percentage of posts disintegrate into arguments. Know what? It's very comical. Here's why...

1. People sign up/post who have some measure of experience in photography.

1a. Perhaps they have some "pro" experience, read a couple books, owned an SLR once, know some of the lingo... "focal length", "depth of field", a "linear" vs. "circular" polarizar, etc.

Even though they're amatures, they consider themselves "experts". They're not. Most, like me, know enough to be dangerous.

Invariabley, they'll post as a vehicle to "show off" their "expertise". Often what they think they know will conflict with what other "experts" think they know. Result?

A photographic "pissing" contest. Happens a lot on Nikon and Canon forums... and DSLR forums. This forum was (and is still, though to a lesser degree) free of that sort of thing because:

1. We're all basically knuckle-heads who freely admit to knowing little to nothing about this stuff... no "expert" pretentions, and the few true "experts" who posted didn't have the expert pretentions that non-experts have.

2. I say the above because - think about it. If you were a "serious photographer" i.e. a "camera snob/pseudo-photographic expert" you would have totally scoffed at purchasing a Panasonic. You would have gone with a Nikon, or a Canon, or perhaps an Oly.

3. Now the Pana's - especially the 20, are being taken a bit more seriously... the pseudo-expert-camera snob (though really just an amature like the rest of us but would never admit it...) have joined.

4. The acronym I shall give you is "PECS" (pseudo-expert camera snobs)

Hi "PECS"! Welcome! Yes, even you're welcome here. We're an unassuming lot, we Pana owners... and we welcome everyone with open arms! We don't fight like the "experts" over on the Nikon, Canon, and DSLR forums. We don't know a whole lot, you see.

If you wish to rant, go right ahead! Likewise, if you want to show-off your photographic knowledge, we'll be happy to placate... er, be grateful. We understand it's an ego thing with the PECs.

PS "PECS" are a lot like amature "Chefs" in this regard. Male PECS often claim their barbqueing techniques are superior to all others, and have the best chile recipes. They love to be praised for their expertise... disengenuous or otherwise.

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:59 PM   #39

playlongs not criticising anybody, just stating his opinion. And from what I understand it's pretty accurate. eg) *circular* polariser, $$ "panasonic brand" zoom, x133 speed sd cards, etc..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"im still deciding which lens cover to fit and will prob get the plain uv filter not so much for the savings (a paltry A$30 or so) but for the ease of cleaning. I've seen in these forums the multicoated filters are a nightmare to clean and the single coated ones are much easier.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Is this correct?
vjsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:38 PM   #40

... so before you post, do some soul searching. Are you one of the PECS? ...for if you are REPENT! You may be condemed for eternity to the lowest level of "photographic hell" as described in this article:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote