Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:54 PM   #11

not trying to be nit-picky, Nancy - for a 'quick-draw' snap shot, it came out quite well!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:59 PM   #12

I did not mean to be a wise guy , I would have done it the same way and most likely got the same result. In fact I might not have got the shot at all.

It would have made no difference which camera I used.

Of course if she would have told me she was jumping ,maybe I could have done better. No guarantee of that!
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 5:06 PM   #13

I know Squirl, your reply was constructive and nice, my reply wasn't aimed at you, but thank youfor your reply.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 5:21 PM   #14

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Heck Nancy candids are NOT easy and if the subject is moving more difficult.

You need to rely on the camera's Point and shoot, AE etc no time for fiddleing. Just point, focus and shoot.BUT quick.

ISO200 f2.8 1/125 or ISO400 1/250 may have been better, I suppose taking a few light readings in the cliff area to get the feel of things would have been prudent, but thats with hindsight.

A little motion blurr can actually be a plus rather than a completely frozen subject, depends on taste.

Good shot ;-)

John

Quote:
Ok, I got to seven pools, sat on a rock, and then someone pointed upward, I looked, quickly took off my lens cap and pressed the shutter button (to turn the camera on, I never use the off switch, just let it go to power save mode), I framed the shot and started shooting. I also leave the camera in continuous shooting mode (the infinity mode) and I did hold my finger on the shutter to get about 5 shots out. I would have darkened the image, I saw it was too overexposed but didn't have time, the rocks were dark so the camera was putting them in middle grey which washed out the girl. I know that the metering would have been identical with the D20 but I would have had it set at a higher ISO to begin with, and of course the 1/60 is too slow for an action shot, but it was already wide open at f2.8, so it couldn't even go to 1/125th b/c the camera would have to have a wider aperture (f2) which it doesn't which leaves it to ISO, which you really can't make higher w/o significant noise. And Jake, I usually leave things to the camera b/c my focus is on (pun intended) capturing a candid shot, normally, so I need a responsive camera. In my wedding pics I was comparing snapshots, using the cameras on auto to see which one would take the better picture. If you saw my moon shots they were on manual, if you saw my polarizer shots, they were on manual. If you are taking pictures of a friggin mountain, you got time to pick ur nose and eat a peanut butter sandwich, but try getting pictures of a 3 year old playing in a pile of leaves! You need to trust your camera or you will miss great shots.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 6:01 PM   #15

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this capture. One expects to see a little motion blur in such a scene. It's perfectly acceptable. Kidding aside (from previous post) I see exhuberance, a cool-fun-exotic setting, a pretty woman, excitement. I smile. I like it. I didn't notice any of the imperfections until they were pointed out, to me they were subtle to the extent that they weren't even noticed, and certainly did not detract.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 6:39 PM   #16

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 6:56 PM   #17

I think Panasonic is well aware of their noisy photos at higher ISOs, which is why It chose an ISO of 150, 200 becomes grainy. I am just trying to figure out why it chose what it chose. So if ISO 150 was its only option, the shutter speed is it's highest, b/c your fstop is already wide open @f2.8. The other reason why the subject is too bright is because there were rays of light coming in between the trees, which is almost impossible to see here, so it was like a spotlight over illuminating her. It was a tricky metering situation, either way.

And btw, don't need those kleenex thingees, b/c after I pick my nose, I eat it too!!!!!!:-x
Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:24 PM   #18

:P
JakeD wrote:
Quote:
You pick your nose? Gross.
Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
:-x
New Yoikahs...
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:45 PM   #19

I only pick it if I am going to eat it (the same argument my boyfriend gives me when he goes hunting for deer-then to prove his point he makes me eat venison for like 4 months!
Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:46 PM   #20

ok, so I don't actually pick my nose, but let me ask you something Nick, if your nose was on strike, would you picket? (I guess it's more of a verbal joke)