Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2005, 3:57 AM   #1

I believe it was Nick who asked me why I don't shoot in Manhattan, and after viewing this picture, it reminded me why. Everything is in shadow in NYC and I would need to shoot at an ISO of about 800 maybe higher. 400 would do but the FZ20, as we all know, is really noisy at that ISO. That is when I started to think about the EOS D20. After seeing the pics from the digital rebel at high ISOs (800 & 1600) I realized that this camera would suit me better. I am just going for the D20 over the Rebel b/c I want better quality than the rebel - otherwise I will be getting a camera very similar to the FZ20. In this example, I had the same problem, the camera was set to sports mode (so it was aiming at a high shutter speed) and the girl is a bit blurry. And I know you might argue that it shows the motion of the picture, and I do agree. There are just times when you want a crisp shot, and in a shady situation, even ISO 200 wouldn't do the trick. And I love my FZ20, but this is one of the things I dislike about the camera. Here's the shot:

Attached Images

Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:51 AM   #2

Nice shot anyway, Nancy

I looked up the EXIF, and it sais iso150... I didn't believe in the scene modes, and this is even more reason to not use them Ithink iso200 wouldn't have made much of a difference though. I really miss the higher iso's on the FZ20 too; but (quality)DSLR is sooo expensive :O

Cheerio! GB

greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:02 AM   #3

Hi Nancy,

Man, that looks like fun. The girl's a bit blurry but well w/in acceptable range for an action shot. I gotta get to Hawaii before I die. When my father retired in '88 every year he and my mother would alternate between spending a few months in Italy (both Italian, have relatives who welcomed them with open arms...) and a few months in Hawaii (dad had a quasi-military job and stayed at these waterfront hotels dirt cheap as a retiree benefit) until mom passed in 2000. I would joke and call them "the jet setters...". They never traveled much growing up. Now I know why. (Kids are expensive, and their needs come first...)

I used to diss DSLRs - way too expensive - definitely for the "early adapters" a market segement that I'm not a part of (EA's are fools. I mean you know the price drops quickly on this stuff, and the capabilities always increase. Be patient!) DSLRs have arrived! The D20 is an amazing camera. Pricey for a consumer but an absolute steal for a pro. It's aqbsolutey perfect for what you want to do. I think my next camera will be a DSLR, in fact. Perhaps a year or two from now. If I was buying one today, I would go with either the Nikon D70 or the new small Pentax, the *st DS(?). Both are around the $800 range, 'mazin values.

As for shooting in NYC, do you really think you need to go that high on the ISO outdoors? I think you just prefer shooting nature - which you excel at, to shooting urban if you don't mind my saying.

Nick

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:10 AM   #4

Hi Nancy,

Another winner even given the limitations of your FZ20.

It is the subtleties of your photo that catches my eye.

- the look of concentration w/a bit of a smile on your subject.

- the art of her flight and imminent entry.

-the right calf which looks very muscular...from this, I glean (rightly or wrongly) that this a woman who is physically active and someone who embraces the new and seek challenges in her life.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:15 AM   #5

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
I glean... *that this a woman who is physically active and someone who embraces the new and seek challenges in her life.
I glean she's a nearly n'ked hottie jumping off a rock. Guess I'm not as analytical or introspective as you when it comes to pics of cliff jumpin' Brazilian bikini babes. :G
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:50 AM   #6

Hi Nancy,

I like the picture. The girl has some blownout highlights to her. I see the EV was not compensated and that the iso is at 150. Since it was in Sports mode it obviously chose this. Did you by any chance try auto bracket or burst mode shots in any action type shots. I have not been able to give my FZ20 the paces it needs since out here in the midwest outdoor shots of action is not readily available.

When spring comes and I am out and about on the Futbol (Soccer) Pitch (Field) I will give the camera a workout.

I enjoy all of your pictures thus far and can tell that you had a wonderful time and probably wished you stayed there a bit longer or possibly stay there.

I look forward to more posts.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:51 AM   #7

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 1:28 PM   #8

i think you'd have been better off manually setting the shutter speed, and increasing ISO to 200, or even 400 if need be.using shutter priority and a higher speed would have gotten rid of the slight blurring of the girl, and although noise might be alittle more noticeable, it's not usually that severe in shots with lots of image details, and you can always clean it up in PP.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 2:19 PM   #9

IMHO

To much of the picture is over exposed andYou told it where to meter.A D20 would have done the same thing.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:51 PM   #10

Ok, I got to seven pools, sat on a rock, and then someone pointed upward, I looked, quickly took off my lens cap and pressed the shutter button (to turn the camera on, I never use the off switch, just let it go to power save mode), I framed the shot and started shooting. I also leave the camera in continuous shooting mode (the infinity mode) and I did hold my finger on the shutter to get about 5 shots out. I would have darkened the image, I saw it was too overexposed but didn't have time, the rocks were dark so the camera was putting them in middle grey which washed out the girl. I know that the metering would have been identical with the D20 but I would have had it set at a higher ISO to begin with, and of course the 1/60 is too slow for an action shot, but it was already wide open at f2.8, so it couldn't even go to 1/125th b/c the camera would have to have a wider aperture (f2) which it doesn't which leaves it to ISO, which you really can't make higher w/o significant noise. And Jake, I usually leave things to the camera b/c my focus is on (pun intended) capturing a candid shot, normally, so I need a responsive camera. In my wedding pics I was comparing snapshots, using the cameras on auto to see which one would take the better picture. If you saw my moon shots they were on manual, if you saw my polarizer shots, they were on manual. If you are taking pictures of a friggin mountain, you got time to pick ur nose and eat a peanut butter sandwich, but try getting pictures of a 3 year old playing in a pile of leaves! You need to trust your camera or you will miss great shots.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote