Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2005, 5:42 PM   #1

Just got my FZ20, and have been thrilled with its general capabilities. BUT - I tried to do some closeups the other day and was very unhappy with what I got. I love natural light macro, but my other camera is an old Nikon FM, and I can't tell whether I'm having mental adjustment issues or whether I'm not using this beautiful Leica lens properly.

1) Macro setting on a semi-overcast day, the sun was bright enough to overexpose the highlights on moss. What's the best way to control this?

2) I am used to TTL focusing, and neither the LCD or viewfinder give me a really good sense of when my subject is as sharp as I want it. Is this inherent to digital cameras and something I need to learn to cope with, or is there an operational tidbit I'm missing?

3) Another sharpness question - when I look at the photo on my laptop, I am still unsure whether I've gotten a *really* sharp photo, or just a close-to-sharp photo? Is this a monitor issue, or just a matter of me adjusting my perceptions from film to digital?

Thanks for your help, I can see from the photos posted here that many people have mastered this new-to-me art!
jacqueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2005, 5:52 PM   #2

The macro capability of the fz series is limited to 3x zoom. The addition of a close-up lens will give you macro capabilty throughout the zoom. See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1macros.htm Info pertains to all fz sereis cameras.

-Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 6:07 PM   #3

jacqueg wrote:
Quote:
Just got my FZ20, and have been thrilled with its general capabilities. BUT - I tried to do some closeups the other day and was very unhappy with what I got. I love natural light macro, but my other camera is an old Nikon FM, and I can't tell whether I'm having mental adjustment issues or whether I'm not using this beautiful Leica lens properly.

1) Macro setting on a semi-overcast day, the sun was bright enough to overexpose the highlights on moss. What's the best way to control this?

2) I am used to TTL focusing, and neither the LCD or viewfinder give me a really good sense of when my subject is as sharp as I want it. Is this inherent to digital cameras and something I need to learn to cope with, or is there an operational tidbit I'm missing?

3) Another sharpness question - when I look at the photo on my laptop, I am still unsure whether I've gotten a *really* sharp photo, or just a close-to-sharp photo? Is this a monitor issue, or just a matter of me adjusting my perceptions from film to digital?

Thanks for your help, I can see from the photos posted here that many people have mastered this new-to-me art!
1) try using exposure compensation, set at -1 EV. or try auto-bracketing to see what exposure works best. alternatively, you can manually override the program settings and reduce exposure te reduce 'hot spots'.

2) digicams with electronic viewfinders are limitedby the resolution of the EVF or LCD display, anddo not provide as clear an image as you're used to with a TTL optical viewfinder. you have to trust the camera to focus correctly. with the FZ20, you can focus manually, and use the magnified EVF center to help, but you'll always be limited by the resolution of the EVF/LCD. this is a shortcoming of digital cameras in general, and you just have to get used to it.

3) very subjective question... what's 'sharp' tosomeone elsemight not be to you, or vice versa. usually, a picture that looks sharp on your monitor will look good when it's printed. when you look at a film photo, if it 'looks' sharp, it is - to your eyes. same with digital, except that with digicams it's easier to correct a slightly soft image.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote