Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2005, 11:21 PM   #11

smac wrote:
Quote:
boyzo wrote:
Quote:
good shots mac

hey the 2x shows vignetting worse on bottom corners.
ye the heat haze is aparant...

high vantage point from where you stood.

in the avatar .... is that a wig ;-)
:roll:
Yes the vignetting is extreme at anything below 6x. However, if you remove the tele lens then you can get vignette free shots for those lower magnifications,

My vantage point was on the opposite side of the canyon about 1000' above the canyon floor.

And yes that is definitely a wig. That chap was a popular kids show host for forty years here in the states. Captain Kangaroo. He was also Clara Bell the clown before Willard Scott on the Howdy Doody show of the 1950's. Rat's I am dating myself severely here. You can see that I have now gone for the much younger looking Barney Fife Avatar. And NO, there is no resemblance. :G

smac
well blow me down ..man i loved howdy doody ...who was the guy holding the puppet ...man he was awesome...sheriff john and engineer bill ...the inner sancton..commando cody..do you remember skipper frank...he was so kool..i was on that show once when i was a cub scout...man they just don't make um like they use to....now you got me crying again...it must be rain drops
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 11:33 PM   #12

Buffalo Bob Smith

Man, I left kindergarten without telling anyone, walk home2 blocks and plunked myself down in front of the TV because Sheriff John's lunch club was on. Ooops!:lol::lol::lol:

Those were safer times.

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:44 AM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:29 AM   #13

smac wrote:
Quote:
Nooner ask for a ramdom telephoto shot for comparison. So, here it is. This house was at least 2 and 1/2 miles away across a canyon. I started with the Pana 1.5 teleconverter set at 2X zoom. Then went to 12x and finally to full 48x zoom. According to the manual, On the FZ10, 48x zoom is equivalent to 54X actual magnification or 1890mm focal distance (35mm equivalent). I am guessing that it is perhaps slightly more for the FZ20.
Anyway, here are the three pictures for comparison. They are all hand held at between f 5.2 and f5.6 and 1/500 sec iso 80.

smac
I do not understand why you are shooting the LZ10's below it's effective zoom range. In case you do not know you will get inferior quality pictures and the setting can lead to under magnification. The functional range is the "X" position at which the tele-extender passes the basic cameras maximum zoom.

Effect zoom range formula:

(FZ mm max zoom) / TC magnification / FZ mm min zoom = minimum effective range

420mm/ 1.5/35=8X or (8)x(1.5)x(35)=420mm
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:39 AM   #14

Um,

I think smac was showing the full range of what this teleconverter does and how it looks. In my caseit comes down to not so much the "techie" (unlessI am endeavoring to get intothe profession) but what pleases ones personal tastes. If I were going to get into the profession I would not be using this camera. This is a fun all in one camera. It does an admirable job covering the range from macro to tele zoom for much less than the SLR and DSLR cameras.

I go with what I have seen in the past year and the LTZ10 though pricey does a great job and with its set-up for the tripod it puts no stress on the camera. I am getting one for sure.

The other teleconverters do a fine job but I am going with the LTZ10 regardless. I saw some sports shots done with it by normcar and was impressed then.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:49 AM   #15

Very nice. But i'd like to see a comparison:

12x without the teleconverter
12 x with the teleconverter

I thinks that is best way to see the power of the teleconverter.
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:09 AM   #16

Quote:
......I started with the Pana 1.5 teleconverter set at 2X zoom. Then went to 12x and finally to full 48x zoom. According to the manual, On the FZ10, 48x zoom is equivalent to 54X actual magnification or 1890mm focal distance (35mm equivalent). I am guessing that it is perhaps slightly more for the FZ20.

smac
It might be nice to really proof read a post using the 'preview' process for spelling and *most* importantly for correct information. Particularly for newbies and interested buyers researching for information.
From your text I don't know if you are using the FZ10 or the FZ20??

There *is no* 48x in the FZ10 as was stated. Max is 36x , equivalent to 54x using a 1.5x tc. (Page 87 in the FZ10 manual.)

For the FZ20 the max of 48x is equivalent to 72x or 2592mm. (Page 80 in the FZ20 manual.)

m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote