Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 7, 2005, 1:01 AM   #1

I remember he was the big thing when I was in art school it was about the time he had passed, and he had done amazing flower shots, homophobes need not apply. To say he was flaming would be an understatement. Has anyone seen the picture of where he sticks his whip? Anyway, these flowers just grew right on the streets in Kihei:
Attached Images

Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2005, 1:14 AM   #2

Beautiful shot Nancy. Love the color. Nice composition. Everything works righ!

You've inspired me. My fz20 just arived and the Phayee adapter and remote is on its way. If the weather holds up I'll try out the cameranext weekend.
guaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 1:14 AM   #3

you go Guaz, btw what does your name mean?
Old Feb 7, 2005, 1:24 AM   #4

It's a nickname I've had since I was a kid. I think it's short for guazzo, Italian for a pool of water.....Does that mean I'm all wet????:?
guaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 1:27 AM   #5

I really like it, I wasn't sure if it was Spanish or Italian, now I know! Have a good night!
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:20 AM   #6

Nice shot, but allow me some critique:

Theupper and the lower petalare cut of. I would ratherlike to see either the whole floweror just a detail (a close-up of the pistil).

The upper petal is overexposed. To avoid this, you could correct the exposure so that the picture is a bit underexposed and then brighten it using software, paying attention to keep the details of the petal (of course all would be easier if the sun was shining at the whole flower).
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:59 AM   #7

Nancy... My sales rep gave me a box of Maplethorpe's notecards knowing my background in horticulture. Turns out she rep'd for him many years ago. And she knew him well apparently. She has several of his more obscure photographs, subjects that were not botanical. The flower is a tropical hibiscus. I used them in abundance here on theEast coast, as i do many of the tropicals that you've probably photographed. We treat them as annuals, they don't make it though our winters. I have brought several into the greenhouse and they will continue to bloom inside. The flowers last only a day but they flower profusely. There are many species and hybrids and they are used a shrub/border plant in native areas. You can grow them in NY.

I'm enjoying your posts. Joe
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote