Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 7, 2005, 4:17 PM   #1

Thanks to Fox who posted a link to this little ditty a while ago. Just got this in the mail, tested it out. Works nicely. Decent range, doesn't drain the battery, throws enough light to frame the shot. Camera focuses quickly within a reasonable range. Fairly cheap ~ $30.00. ...gadget to keep in your bag when you need it. Thumbs up for FZ-1 owners and other cameras that don't have AF assist built in. Has four led lights, on/off easy to access, and a tripod socket beneath (I was a little concerned that it didn't, but it does.)

CameraBright! X1

http://www.prestocart.com/cgi-bin/or...lingbling&fm=1
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:02 PM   #2

Thanks Nick, this has been added to my "to buy" list. Unfortunately the more things I buy the longer my list seems to get????

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:07 PM   #3

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:14 PM   #4

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Nick...what kind of battery does it use?
Uses 4 CR 2032 coin cells. Enough for 4 hours of continuous use according to their site... I'm sure this is a stretch but it should last quite a while.

I want to caution... I just got this and haven't field tested it yet. I just went down my dimly lit basement and played around with it a bit. Seems to work, no reason it shouldn't. Simple device. Basically a bright led flashlight with a mount for your tripod.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:16 PM   #5

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Nick, this has been added to my "to buy" list. Unfortunately the more things I buy the longer my list seems to get????

Treemonkey
... funny how that works isn't it?
Old Feb 7, 2005, 7:45 PM   #6

... okay. I'm upgrading my rating of this to a "must have" for FZ-1 owners. I've been fooling around with this simple little gadget indoors now that it's dark outside. It is very effective. It will often focus instantly on objects that aren't even visible in the evf without it. It is especially effective with spot focus on verticals. Excellent!

Only downside, and nothing is perfect, is the darn thing is very bright. Might annoy subjects or cause them to squint. Still, a very, very worthwhile gadget to the cam bag.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 9:47 PM   #7

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
... okay. I'm upgrading my rating of this to a "must have" for FZ-1 owners. I've been fooling around with this simple little gadget indoors now that it's dark outside. It is very effective. It will often focus instantly on objects that aren't even visible in the evf without it. It is especially effective with spot focus on verticals. Excellent!

Only downside, and nothing is perfect, is the darn thing is very bright. Might annoy subjects or cause them to squint. Still, a very, very worthwhile gadget to the cam bag.
Nick,

Is the FZ1 flash strong enough to adequately illuminate the scenes you're setting up with the CameraBright?

Jane
nmastae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:37 PM   #8

nmastae wrote:
Quote:
Nick,

Is the FZ1 flash strong enough to adequately illuminate the scenes you're setting up with the CameraBright?

Jane
Hi Jane,

That would vary, I suppose. Since getting the DF200, I literally, never use just the on-board flash. I've been testing this out, and it aids ->greatly<- in room light night situations. When the lens is wide, using spot focus, it will often focus instantly (aim as you know at high contrast vertical line...), whereas without the camera wouldn't even "see" what you're trying to focus on! Zoomed out 12X can still be tricky, more due to keeping your hands steady enough for your camera to get a read, but it most definately helps there too.

Nick